The Sioux uprising and massacre of 1862 : a collection of original photographic prints including important scenes and events in the early history of the Northwest / by pioneer photographers Joel E. Whitney and B.F. Upton, 1857-1863.
Beinecke Rare Book and Manuscript Library > The Sioux uprising and massacre of 1862 : a collection of original photographic prints including important scenes and events in the early history of the Northwest / by pioneer photographers Joel E. Whitney and B.F. Upton, 1857-1863.
- The Sioux uprising and massacre of 1862 : a collection of original photographic prints including important scenes and events in the early history of the Northwest / by pioneer photographers Joel E. Whitney and B.F. Upton, 1857-1863.
- Alternative Title
Martin's Gallery of Indian Portraits.
Martin's Gallery of Minnesota Views.
Upton's Collection of Photographic Views.
Upton's Series of Minnesota Views.
Hoard & Tenney (Winona, Minn.)
Martin's Art Gallery
Upton, Benjamin Franklin, 1818-
Whitney, Joel E. (Joel Emmons), 1822-1886
- Bishop Seabury Mission
- Published / Created
- 1857-1863 [i.e. 1865]
Carte-de-visite photographs of Sioux and Chippewa Indians in Minnesota, Fort Snelling, Fort Garry; of Red River train carts in St. Paul; and of people escaping from the Red River uprising. There are many portraits of Sioux Indians, some of them identified as having been executed for their part in the Red River massacre. There are also images of Sioux Indians in camps, of Chippewa chiefs, as well as of an Indian school run by "Miss Allen," and of Sioux Indian boys at the Bishop Seabury Mission School in Faribault, Minnesota. Photographers include Joel E. Whitney, Benjamin F. Upton, Hoard & Tenney, and S. J. Morrow. Many of the photographs are on Martin's Art Gallery mounts, or variants: Martin's Gallery of Indian Portraits, Martin's Gallery of Minnesota Views.
Album rebound by Conservation Studio so that verso captions may be seen. Original photograph sleeves have been retained for caption information.
Manuscript and letterpress captions on mounts.
Title and dates from typescript title page.
- 1 album (60 photographic prints) : b & w ; 24 cm.
- Extent of Digitization
- This object has been completely digitized.
- Beinecke Rare Book and Manuscript Library
- Call Number
- WA Photos 281
Subjects, Formats, And Genres
- still image
photograph albums (AAT)
- Subject (Geographic)
- Minnesota--History--Pictorial works
- Subject (Name)
- Bishop Seabury Mission
- Subject (Topic)
Dakota Indians--Wars, 1862-1865--Pictorial works
Indians of North America--Minnesota
Indians of North America--Portraits
Access And Usage Rights
- The use of this image may be subject to the copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code) or to site license or other rights management terms and conditions. The person using the image is liable for any infringement.
- The Sioux Uprising and Massacre of 1862, a Collection of Original Photographic Prints including Important Scenes and Events in the Early History of the Northwest. Yale Collection of Western Americana, Beinecke Rare Book and Manuscript Library.
- Orbis Record
- Object ID (OID)
- More Information