Photograph album of Lakota Indians in southern South Dakota.
The digital version of this work is restricted to the Yale Community.
- Photograph album of Lakota Indians in southern South Dakota.
- Buechel, Eugene
- Published / Created
- ca. 1928-1931.
- Events documented include horseback trips to the White River, a powwow with traditional Lakota costume and dancing, mourners at a cemetery, Lakota women on horseback, and games of football and basketball. Images documenting agricultural events include threshing wheat and castrating calves., Informal portraits include individuals, couples, and groups. Specific student groups including a group of young women from Holy Rosary Mission school, the St. Francis Mission marching band, the St. Francis Mission football team, a dance troupe of girls, and a student theatrical group at the St. Francis Mission in costume and wearing blackface makeup. Informal portraits also depict Lakota people wearing modern and traditional costumes, in addition to Anglo American people wearing traditional Lakota costumes. The only identified individual is Peter Scherer, who directed the St. Francis Mission marching band in 1930-1931., Other images include exterior views of the missions, homes, farms, and oil wells, while interiors views exist of a gymnasium and dining halls at the missions., Photograph album of images created by Eugene Buechel of Oglala Lakota and Sicangu Lakota people and environs in southern South Dakota, ca. 1928-1931., and The Jesuit priest, Eugene Buechel (1874-1954) served as a superior at the mission schools of Holy Rosary Mission (1908-1916), Pine Ridge Indian Reservation, and St. Francis Mission (1916-1923), Rosebud Indian Reservation, afterwards working to document Lakota language and culture in the region until his death.
Manuscript captions in German on the verso of several photographs, which are available on photocopies provided with the album.
Photographs in album 8.7 x 14.8 cm. and smaller.
- 1 album (162 photographic prints) : b & w ; 22.0 x 31.8 cm.
- Call Number
- WA Photos 345
Subjects, Formats, And Genres
- still image
- Subject (Geographic)
Pine Ridge Indian Reservation (S.D.)--Pictorial works
Rosebud Indian Reservation (S.D.)--Pictorial works
- Subject (Name)
Catholic Church--Missions--South Dakota
Jesuits--Missions--Pine Ridge Indian Reservation (S.D.)
Jesuits--Missions--Rosebud Indian Reservation (S.D.)
Scherer, Peter,--band director
- Subject (Topic)
Brulé Indians--Pictorial works
Cemeteries--South Dakota--Pictorial works
Dakota Indians--Pictorial works
Indians of North America--Pictorial works
Indians of North America--Rites and ceremonies--Pictorial works
Oglala Indians--Pictorial works
Teton Indians--Pictorial works
Access And Usage Rights
- Yale Community Only
- The use of this image may be subject to the copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code) or to site license or other rights management terms and conditions. The person using the image is liable for any infringement.
- Eugene Buechel, Photograph Album of Lakota Indians in Southern South Dakota. Yale Collection of Western Americana, Beinecke Rare Book and Manuscript Library.
- Orbis Record