Charles Emerson Beecher article and photographs relating to the snake dance at Oraibi Pueblo, .
Beinecke Rare Book and Manuscript Library > Charles Emerson Beecher article and photographs relating to the snake dance at Oraibi Pueblo, .
- Charles Emerson Beecher article and photographs relating to the snake dance at Oraibi Pueblo, .
- Alternative Title
- [Photograph relating to the snake dance at Oraibi Pueblo]
- Beecher, Charles Emerson, 1856-1904
- Published / Created
Typescript article, with minor manuscript corrections, written by Charles Emerson Beecher, and 25 photographs taken by him, relating to his visit to Oraibi Pueblo while traveling in Arizona Territory in August, 1900. The article is titled "A Journey to the Snake Dance at Oraibi," with an alternative title, "Across the Desert to the Snake Dance at Oraibi," written in manuscript. The article describes Beecher's observations of natural features and experiences camping in Arizona while traveling from Winslow to Oraibi Pueblo; the culture of Hopis living at Oraibi; and a snake dance ceremony performed on August 19. Beecher also discusses his opinions on the effects of the United States government on Hopi culture. The photographs show scenes of Oraibi Pueblo and surrounding areas, scenes of the snake dance ceremony, and Hopi artifacts. The photographs are captioned in manuscript and are accompanied by a manuscript list.
- Charles Emerson Beecher received a doctorate from Yale University in 1889. He was a professor of paleontology and geology at Yale and a paleontologist at the Peabody Museum of Natural History. In August, 1900, he traveled with a party of researchers to the Grand Canyon and Oraibi Pueblo, Arizona Territory.
- 1 photographic print ; b&w : 9.8 x 12.3 cm.
- Extent of Digitization
- Partially digitized
- Beinecke Rare Book and Manuscript Library
- Call Number
- WA MSS S-2100
- Container / Volume
- Box 1 | Folder 2
Subjects, Formats, And Genres
Access And Usage Rights
- The use of this image may be subject to the copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code) or to site license or other rights management terms and conditions. The person using the image is liable for any infringement.
- Charles Emerson Beecher Article and Photographs Relating to the Snake Dance at Oraibi Pueblo. Western Americana Collection, Beinecke Rare Book and Manuscript Library, Yale University.
- Orbis Record
- Object ID (OID)