Photograph album of John Wesley Powell's Second Colorado River Expedition [graphic].
- Photograph album of John Wesley Powell's Second Colorado River Expedition [graphic].
- Beaman, E. O, Fennemore, James, Hillers, John K., 1843-1925, and Powell, John Wesley, 1834-1902
- Published / Created
- Finally, there are several views of the Marble Canyon, the Grand Canyon, the Green River, the Virgin River, the Sevier River, Pine Creek, Kanab Creek, and a series of portraits by Hillers of Paiute, Ute and Pueblo Indians. Portraits of Hopi and Zuni Indians were probably taken by Beaman., Photograph album of John Wesley Powell's Second Colorado River Expedition, containing photographs by E. O. Beaman, James Fennemore, and John K. Hillers. The first 118 photographs are attributed to Beaman, and depict the start of the expedition at the Green River Station in Wyoming, and the journey through the Red Canyon, Brown's Park, the Lodore Canyon, the Canyon of Desolation, the Cataract Canyon, and Salt Lake City, Utah., and The next set of photographs in the album was probably taken by James Fennemore, showing views of Powell's expedition after his departure from Salt Lake City. They illustrate the journey from the mouth of the Dirty Devil River down through Glen Valley, Nevada.
Individual prints consist of 452 stereo-sized photographs, measuring 7.6 x 11.0 cm. or smaller, 52 larger photographs, measuring 18.5 x 10.9 cm. or smaller, and 5 photographs measuring 24.2 x 18.2 cm. or smaller. The photographs are generally not captioned. Attribution is based on secondary sources.
Insect damage to some pages, not affecting photographs.
- 1 album (509 photographic prints) : b & w ; 29.5 x 40.5 cm.
- Call Number
- WA Photos 54
Subjects, Formats, And Genres
- still image
Photograph albums. --aat
- Subject (Geographic)
Cataract Canyon Wilderness (Utah)--Pictorial works
Colorado River (Colo.-Mexico)--Pictorial works
Grand Canyon (Ariz.)--Pictorial works
United States--Exploring expeditions
- Subject (Name)
- Powell, John Wesley,--1834-1902
- Subject (Topic)
Hopi Indians--Pictorial works
Indians of North America--Pictorial works
Paiute Indians--Pictorial works
Ute Indians--Pictorial works
Zuni Indians--Pictorial works
Access And Usage Rights
- The use of this image may be subject to the copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code) or to site license or other rights management terms and conditions. The person using the image is liable for any infringement.
- Orbis Record