Inventory of books purchased by David Garrick from William Griffin
- Inventory of books purchased by David Garrick from William Griffin
- Alternative Title
- Other papers
- Published / Created
- 1768 December 3
- Letters, manuscript poems, financial papers, and other documents relating to David Garrick and his tenure as manager of the Drury Lane Theatre. Letters include a lengthy 1751 letter from Richard Berenger describing theaters and operas in Paris; transcripts of two letters from Garrick to Francis Hayman about plans for a series of prints from Shakespeare; and a 1767 letter from the actor Patrick O'Brien discussing his "exiled" life in New York. Manuscript verse consists of drafts of several prologues and epilogues, and copies of comic epigrams and songs. Other papers include a record of receipts for the first season of Drury Lane; "A Scheme for a Theatrical Society;" a list of characters performed by Garrick in 1741-42; and a copy of "Mr. Taylor's address to young students and lovers of landscape painting."
David Garrick (1717-1779) was the most celebrated Shakespearean actor of his time and the successful manager of the Drury Lane Theatre for almost three decades.
Thomas Rackett (1755-1840) received his MA from University College, Oxford in 1780 and named rector of Spetisbury in Dorset shortly after; he held the living until his death in 1840. Rackett devoted much time to his antiquarian interests; he was a member of the Linnean Society, the Royal Society, and the Society of Antiquaries, and contributed several drawings to John Hutchins's History of Dorset. He died at Spetisbury in November of 1840.
- 2 p. ; 34 cm.
- Extent of Digitization
- Completely digitized
- Call Number
- OSB MSS 125
- Collection Title
- David Garrick papers from the Thomas Rackett collection, 1741-1776.
- Collection/Other Creator
- Taylor, John, of Bath
- Container / Volume Information
- Box 1 | Folder 41
Subjects, Formats, And Genres
Access And Usage Rights
- The use of this image may be subject to the copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code) or to site license or other rights management terms and conditions. The person using the image is liable for any infringement.
- David Garrick Papers from the Thomas Rackett Collection. James Marshall and Marie-Louise Osborn Collection, Beinecke Rare Book and Manuscript Library, Yale University.
- Orbis Record