The plays and poems of William Shakespeare, with the corrections and illustrations of various commentators: comprehending a life of the poet, and an enlarged history of the stage, by the late Edmond Malone, with a new glossarial index.
- The plays and poems of William Shakespeare, with the corrections and illustrations of various commentators: comprehending a life of the poet, and an enlarged history of the stage, by the late Edmond Malone, with a new glossarial index.
- Alternative Title
- Works. 1821
- Boswell, James, 1778-1822, Capell, Edward, 1713-1781, Farmer, Richard, 1735-1797, Johnson, Samuel, 1709-1784, Malone, Edmond, 1741-1812, Pope, Alexander, 1688-1744, Rowe, Nicholas, 1674-1718, Shakespeare, William, 1564-1616, and Steevens, George, 1736-1800
- Published / Created
- Publication Place
- F. C. and J. Rivington [etc.]
Edited by James Boswell, the younger, to whom Malone left his materials for a new edition (Malone's first edition appeared in 1790 in 10 vols.) "'Boswell's Malone' is generally known as the 'third variorum' edition of Shakespeare". cf. Dict. nat. biog., v. 35, p. 437.
Osborn pd202: Autograph of W. W. Greg (vols. 1, 3).
v. 1. Prolegomena: Advertisement to the present edition, by Boswell. A biographical memoir of Edmond Malone, by Boswell. Pope's preface. Theobald's preface. Sir Thomas Hanmer's preface. Dr. Warburton's preface. Dr. Johnson's preface. Steevens's advertisement, 1766. Capell's introduction. Steevens's advertisement, 1773. Reed's advertisement, 1785. Malone's preface, 1790. Steevens's advertisement, 1793. Reed's advertisement, 1803. Steevens's advertisement, 1803. Preface to Richardson's proposals. Richardson's proposals and supplement. Dr. Farmer on the learning of Shakspeare. Appendix to Colman's translation of Terence. Ancient translations from classical authors. List of detached criticisms on Shakspeare, &c. Shakspeare, Ford and Jonson. Rowe's life of Shakspeare. Additional anecdotes. Commendatory poems on Shakespeare. Essay on phraseology and metre.
- 21 v. fronts. (v. 1-2) illus., plates (1 fold.) ports., facsims., fold. tables (1 geneal.) 22 cm.
- Extent of Digitization
- Partially digitized
- Call Number
- Osborn pd202
Subjects, Formats, And Genres
Access And Usage Rights
- The use of this image may be subject to the copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code) or to site license or other rights management terms and conditions. The person using the image is liable for any infringement.
- Orbis Record