Thomas Bowrey logbook and journal, [17--].
- Thomas Bowrey logbook and journal, [17--].
- Alternative Title
- An Account of the Journall of a Voyage from England to Bengall... in the Worcester East Indiaman commanded by Captn. Thomas Bowrey from the 11th of December 1689 to the 14th of December 1691
- Bowrey, Thomas, ca. 1650-1713
- Published / Created
- Two manuscript volumes containing logbook entries, journal entries, rental accounts, and descriptions of voyages by Thomas Bowrey. The journal volume contains "An Account of the Journall of a Voyage from England to Bengall...in the Worcester East Indiaman commanded by Captn. Thomas Bowrey...1689...1691;" "A Description & account of the Different Islands & bays on the NW Coast...and Likewise the Behaviour of the Natives from Each different place," with three coastal maps; drawings of an escutcheon and a burial monument; leasehold accounts; and extracts from Shakespeare.
Binding: both volumes bound in tooled full reverse calf; logbook has red morocco spine label with "Account Book" in gilt letters.
Journal has eighteenth century gold-stamped, red morocco label pasted on inside front cover: Thos. Bowrey Born Jan. 4 A.D. 1661. Autograph of Henry H. Goddard on front pastedown and front flyleaf has been struck-through.
Thomas Bowrey (ca. 1650-1713), pilot, East India merchant, and investor, was the compiler of the first published Malay-English dictionary (1701).
Volume 2 contains text written in both directions. In four sections according to orientation of text. Each section, including that of the reverse direction, retains pencil foliation as found in the volume.
- 2 items.
- Extent of Digitization
- Completely digitized
- Call Number
- Osborn fc177
Subjects, Formats, And Genres
coats of arms (AAT)
Maps in books
- Subject (Geographic)
Bengal (India)--Description and travel
Bengal, Bay of--Commerce
Bengal, Bay of--Maps
Malabar Coast (India)--Description and travel
Malabar Coast (India)--Navigation
Northwest Passage--Description and travel
Northwest Passage--Discovery and exploration--British
- Subject (Name)
East India Company
English Company Trading to the East-Indies
- Subject (Topic)
Nautical charts--Malabar Coast (India)
Spice trade--England--17th century
Spice trade--Great Britain--17th century
Access And Usage Rights
- The use of this image may be subject to the copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code) or to site license or other rights management terms and conditions. The person using the image is liable for any infringement.
- Thomas Bowrey Logbook and Journal. James Marshall and Marie-Louise Osborn Collection, Beinecke Rare Book and Manuscript Library, Yale University.
- Orbis Record