Book III Prints 76-80: "Operation Truth" press conference with Fidel Castro
Manuscripts and Archives > Cuban revolution collection (MS 650) > Series I: Andrew St. George Photographs, Films, and Papers > Photographs > Contact Book III > Book III Prints 76-80: "Operation Truth" press conference with Fidel Castro
- Book III Prints 76-80: "Operation Truth" press conference with Fidel Castro
- From the Collection: Yale University. Department of Manuscripts and Archives
From the Collection: St. George, Andrew, 1924-2001
From the Collection: Stone, David C.
- Published / Created
- 1959 January
- These prints document Fidel Castro's record five-hour press conference for foreign reporters participating in "Operation Truth" in the ballroom of a Havana hotel. "Operation Truth" represented Fidel Castro and the revolutionary government's response to the furious attacks in the foreign media and by United States officials on the summary trials and executions of former officers, police agents and intelligence agents responsible for state repression under Fulgencio Batista. Launched as a counter-campaign meant to bring the press to Cuba to witness the trials and their popularity among Cubans, "Operation Truth" paid the travel costs out of Cuban government coffers of all foreign reporters who would come. Fidel Castro at center; others present include all of the members of the original revolutionary government, including President Manuel Urrutia and Minister of the Treasury Rufo López Fresquet. See also Prints 81-91.
- Extent of Digitization
- This object has been partially digitized.
- Manuscripts and Archives
- Call Number
- MS 650
- Search for Additional Digitized Material in This Collection
- Container / Volume
- Box 3, folder 201-205
Access And Usage Rights
- The use of this image may be subject to the copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code) or to site license or other rights management terms and conditions. The person using the image is liable for any infringement.
- Cuban Revolution Collection (MS 650). Manuscripts and Archives, Yale University Library.
- Orbis Record
- Object ID (OID)