- Grammatica minor
- Priscian, fl. ca. 500-530
- Published / Created
- [between 1175 and 1200]
- Publication Place
- Eastern France,
- Manuscript on parchment (end pieces, worn, repaired) of Priscian, Grammatica minor.
8-line initial (later addition?), f. 1r, red with crude penwork designs in red and black; biting the letter is a grotesque stretched across upper margin, outlined in black with details in red. Small initials in red and/or black: ff. 17v, 31r, 35v, etc. Paragraph marks, initial strokes, and lines drawn through text passages written in Greek, all in red.
Binding: Thirteenth century (?), France. Original sewing (except for the first few gatherings) on three tawed skin, slit straps laced through tunnels in the edge to the outside of quarter sawn (?) oak boards, almost flush, and fastened with rectangular, angled wedges. Blue/green and natural color chevron endbands are sewn on tawed skin cores. There is a strip of tawed skin extending a short distance on the outside of the boards and turned in at head and tail. The boards are edged with white, tawed skin and an outer cover is whip stitched to this edging. There is no adhesive on the spine and the cover is held in place by the endbands. The outer cover probably extended and has been cut off flush. Needle holes along the inner edge of the back board fore-edge turn-in. There are traces of two strap-and-pin fastenings, the pins on the lower board. Hole bored on the tail and fore edge of the front board does not seem to serve any purpose.
Script: Written by a single scribe in early gothic bookhand, above top line.
Some marginalia lost due to trimming and rubbing.
- ff. 66 : parchment ; 241 x 172 (168 x 95) mm.
- Extent of Digitization
- Completely digitized
- Call Number
- Marston MS 67
Subjects, Formats, And Genres
- Resource Type
- Archives or Manuscripts
- Subject (Name)
- Priscian,--fl. ca. 500-530
- Subject (Topic)
Manuscripts, Medieval--Connecticut--New Haven
Medieval and Renaissance Manuscripts in Beinecke Library
Access And Usage Rights
- The use of this image may be subject to the copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code) or to site license or other rights management terms and conditions. The person using the image is liable for any infringement.
- Priscian, Grammatica Minor. General Collection, Beinecke Rare Book and Manuscript Library, Yale University. and Shailor, B. Catalogue of Medieval and Renaissance Manuscripts in the Beinecke Rare Book and Manuscript Library, Marston MS 67.
- Orbis Record
- More Information