Handlyng synne, [circa 1425-1450].
- Handlyng synne, [circa 1425-1450].
- Mannyng, Robert, fl. 1288-1338
- Published / Created
- [circa 1425-1450]
- Publication Place
- [northern England, probably Durham]
- Manuscript, on paper, in three hands (Anglicana and early secretary), produced in northern England, probably Durham, during the second quarter of the fifteenth century.
Binding: original oak boards, with leather or vellum spine missing. The middles of the quires are bound with fragments of a Latin theological manuscript of the fourteenth century.
Contains name "Roger? Willims" on f. 56r.
The text of the poem is incomplete, beginning at line 2501 and ending at line 12363, with gaps. It includes an "interpolation" of 126 lines between lines 6546 and 6547 which consists of lines 5377-5414 of the Anglo-Norman poem on which Mannyng's translation is based, "Le Manuel des Pechiez (Peches)."
- 1 v. (145 ff.) ; 21 cm. x 46 cm.
- Extent of Digitization
- Completely digitized
English, Middle (1100-1500)
- Call Number
- Osborn a2
Subjects, Formats, And Genres
Manuscript waste (Binding)
- Resource Type
- Archives or Manuscripts
- Subject (Name)
- Mannyng, Robert,--fl. 1288-1338.--Handlyng synne
- Subject (Topic)
Confession--Handbooks, manuals, etc.--Poetry
Medieval and Renaissance Manuscripts in Beinecke Library
Access And Usage Rights
- The use of this image may be subject to the copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code) or to site license or other rights management terms and conditions. The person using the image is liable for any infringement.
- Robert Mannyng, Handlyng Synne. James Marshall and Marie-Louise Osborn Collection, Beinecke Rare Book and Manuscript Library, Yale University.
- Orbis Record
- More Information