Travel diary of a journey from Guernsey to Nantes, 1829 May-Jun.
Beinecke Rare Book and Manuscript Library > Travel diary of a journey from Guernsey to Nantes, 1829 May-Jun.
- Travel diary of a journey from Guernsey to Nantes, 1829 May-Jun.
- Published / Created
- 1829 May 28-June.11
Holograph journal, illustrated, describing a brief trip from Weymouth to Guernsey, Jersey, Nantes and the Loire valley. The opening of the diary details sights seen in the Channel Islands, including the fort at Guernsey; the "druid's altars" (dolmens); and the pillorying of a man in St. Helier. Once in France, the author takes a particular interest in buidlings and gardens, including Chateaubriant, La Trappe, Clisson, and the "Lemont Villa" near Garenne; modes of transportation, from dilgence to barge; and the varying quality of French hotels and restaurants.
The volume is illustrated with 45 drawings in pen and ink and watercolor. Subjects include the dolmens on Guernsey (4 drawings) and the pillory in St. Helier; all of the chateaux and gardens named in the text (multiple views of most); buildings, street scenes, and gardens in Nantes; transport by donkey, horse, oxcart, omnibus, and boat; and several genre scenes, including one of a cow being inflated by a bellows.
Annotated on front cover: Guernsey-Nantes. 28 May 1829/11 June.
Binding: contemporary brown sheep; blindstamped corkscrew border.
Journal in two sections; portion at end written from other direction.
- 1 v. (62 p.) ; 18 x 11 cm.
- Extent of Digitization
- Completely digitized
- Beinecke Rare Book and Manuscript Library
- Call Number
- Osborn d456
Subjects, Formats, And Genres
journals (accounts): diaries (AAT)
paintings: watercolors (AAT)
- Subject (Geographic)
Channel Islands--Description and travel
France--Description and travel
Loire River Valley (France)--Description and travel
Nantes (France)--Buildings, structures, etc
Nantes (France)--Description and travel
- Subject (Topic)
Travelers' writings, English
Watercolor painting--19th century
Access And Usage Rights
- The use of this image may be subject to the copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code) or to site license or other rights management terms and conditions. The person using the image is liable for any infringement.
- Travel Diary of a Journey from Guernsey to Nantes. James Marshall and Marie-Louise Osborn Collection, Beinecke Rare Book and Manuscript Library, Yale University.
- Orbis Record
- Object ID (OID)