Collection of letters, printed items, cuttings, etc., related to his chairmanship of the committee of subscribers for the relief of the suffering clergy of France, Refugees in the British Dominions, 1792-1814, 1792-1814.
- Collection of letters, printed items, cuttings, etc., related to his chairmanship of the committee of subscribers for the relief of the suffering clergy of France, Refugees in the British Dominions, 1792-1814, 1792-1814.
- Alternative Title
- [Letter : Mr. Poulter to e Bishop of St. Pol. de Leon]
- Eardley-Wilmot, John, 1750-1815
- Published / Created
- 1796 February 2
- Manuscript and printed items, tipped into album in approximate chronological order. Includes letters to Eardley-Wilmot from Sir Brook Watson, 1st bart. (1735-1807), George Nugent-Temple-Grenville, 1st marquis of Buckingham (1753-1813), John Moore, abp. of Canterbury (1730-1805), the Bishop of Leon, Frances Anne (Greville) Crewe, lady Crewe (d.1818), Mark Noble (1754-1827), Sir John Coxe Hippisley, 1st bart. (1748-1825), Hannah More (1745-1833), John Milner (1752-1826), John Wills (1741-1806), John Julius Angerstein (1735-1823), Robert Banks Jenkinson, 2nd earl of Liverpool (1770-1828), William Eden, 1st baron Auckland (1744-1814); other manuscript items include financial records, records of council proceedings, and a copy of a letter from Pope Pius VI to the Bishop of Leon.The printed items include newspaper clippings, lists of subscribers, minutes and resolutions from committee meetings, a printed document in Latin issued by Pope Pius VI praising "even non-catholic princes and people" who give asylum to French clergy, and an unrecorded separate printing of the "Case of the Suffering Clergy of France" by Edmund Burke (1729-1797), which first appeared in the Evening Mail, 1792 Sep 19 (see Todd, Bibl. Edmund Burke, No. 60). Some letters praise Eardley-Wilmot for his charitable pursuit, and others criticize him as a papal sympathizer. Table of contents outlines dates and names of correspondents in page order.
1 folder (8 p.) ; 34 cm.
ca. 151 items (in 1 box) ; 27 x 21 cm.
- Extent of Digitization
- Partially digitized
- Call Number
- Osborn c42
- Container / Volume Information
- Box 1 | Folder 7
Subjects, Formats, And Genres
letters (correspondence) (AAT)
- Subject (Geographic)
France--History--Revolution, 1789-1799--Foreign public opinion, British
Great Britain--Foreign relations--France--1789-1815
- Subject (Name)
- Eardley-Wilmot, John,--1750-1815
- Subject (Topic)
Access And Usage Rights
- The use of this image may be subject to the copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code) or to site license or other rights management terms and conditions. The person using the image is liable for any infringement.
- John Eardley-Wilmot, Collection of Letters, Printed Items, Cuttings, etc.. James Marshall and Marie-Louise Osborn Collection, Beinecke Rare Book and Manuscript Library, Yale University.