Uncle Tom's cabin Staffordshire child's plate
- Uncle Tom's cabin Staffordshire child's plate
- Alternative Title
- Uncle Tom at home
- Stowe, Harriet Beecher, 1811-1896. Uncle Tom's cabin
- Published / Created
- Publication Place
- [Staffordshire, England :
- Uncle Tom is depicted in center of llustration, dancing while holding a little black child up on his left shoulder. Two black boys are also dancing and a white boy is waving a handkerchief and cheering them on. A black woman is putting a covered pot on the table to Uncle Tom's right; details of cabin walls and ceiling appear in the background.
"Uncle Tom's cabin" printed above illustration on plate; "Uncle Tom at home" printed below it.
A child's plate; small, octagonal and decorated with a black transfer printed vignette.
Attributed to one of five Staffordshire potters with the initials JH (John Hawthorn of Burslem, John Holland of Tunstall, John Hebb of Fenton, John Hughes of Cobridge, and John Holloway).
On verso of plate are potter's initials, JH, and an impressed Stafford knot.
- 1 plate : glazed earthenware, b&w ; 16 x 16 x 2 cm.
- Extent of Digitization
- Completely digitized
- Call Number
- Art Storage 927
Subjects, Formats, And Genres
Access And Usage Rights
- The use of this image may be subject to the copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code) or to site license or other rights management terms and conditions. The person using the image is liable for any infringement.