Homeliae in Hiezechielem prophetam
- Homeliae in Hiezechielem prophetam
- Gregory I, Pope, ca. 540-604
- Published / Created
- [ca. 1150]
- Publication Place
- Hautecombe (?),
- Manuscript on parchment (poor quality: thick, holes, ends, repairs) of Gregory the Great, Homeliae in Hiezechielem prophetam. Written perhaps at the Cistercian abbey of Hautecombe to which it belonged.
Acquired from C. A. Stonehill in 1957 by Thomas E. Marston.
Binding: 1800-1810, Italy. Half bound in mottled brown calf with bright pink paper sides. Two gold-tooled, brick red labels on spine: "Greg. Pape. in Ezechiel." and "Saecul. XIII". Red edges. Bound in the same distinctive style as Marston MSS 50, 125, 128, 135, 151, 153, 158, 197, also from the Cistercian abbey of Hautecombe.
Many leaves damaged along outer edges, now repaired, but with loss of text; stained throughout.
Script: Written by multiple scribes in spiky early gothic bookhand.
Spaces left unfilled, f. 1r, for initials and headings at beginning of prologue and text. Decorative monochrome initials and headings, which extend the width of columns, of modest quality, in red (many oxidized). Minor initials, 5- to 2-line, some with simple penwork designs, headings, initial strokes in red.
- ff. ii + 105 + ii : parchment ; 300 x 220 mm.
- Extent of Digitization
- Partially digitized
- Call Number
- Marston MS 159
Subjects, Formats, And Genres
- Manuscripts, Medieval
- Resource Type
- Archives or Manuscripts
- Subject (Name)
- Subject (Topic)
Fathers of the church
Manuscripts, Medieval--Connecticut--New Haven
Medieval and Renaissance Manuscripts in Beinecke Library
Access And Usage Rights
- The use of this image may be subject to the copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code) or to site license or other rights management terms and conditions. The person using the image is liable for any infringement.
- Gregory the Great, Homeliae in Hiezechielem Prophetam. General Collection, Beinecke Rare Book and Manuscript Library, Yale University. and Shailor, B. Catalogue of Medieval and Renaissance Manuscripts in the Beinecke Rare Book and Manuscript Library, Marston MS 159.
- Orbis Record
- More Information