- Vincent Ferrer, Saint, ca. 1350-1419
- Published / Created
- [between 1450 and 1500]
- Publication Place
- Manuscript on paper (sized) of Vincent Ferrer, Sermones. In this version of the sermons the text begins in Latin, presents the main points of the sermon in Spanish, and then returns to the body of the text in Latin.
Binding: ca. 1500, Spain. Wound sewing on four tawed skin, slit straps or double cords laced into the wooden boards. Plain wound natural color endbands, caught up on the spine, are sewn on cores laced into the boards and pegged. They are tied down around a strip of tawed skin. There is a coarse cloth spine lining. Back pastedown is part of a bifolium from a liturgical manuscript with Aquitanian musical notation. Covered with reddish-brown sheepskin, blind-tooled with a rope interlace tool, fleurs de lis and annular dots. Spine: supports outlined with double fillets; panels diapered with double fillets with annular dots at the intersections. There are traces of two fastenings, the catches on the lower board, and traces of five round bosses on each board. Damage from a chain attachment (?) near the tail of the upper board; remains of a paper or vellum label near the head.
Plain red intials for each sermon; headings, foliation and paragraph marks in red. First words of each sermon in large gothic bookhand for display script.
Script: Written in gothic cursive script, above top line.
Watermarks: similar in design to Briquet Ciseaux 3694-3702, and unidentified cross bow in a circle.
- ff. ii + 284 : paper ; 414 x 290 (282 x 205) mm.
- Extent of Digitization
- Completely digitized
- Call Number
- Marston MS 95
Subjects, Formats, And Genres
- Resource Type
- Archives or Manuscripts
- Subject (Name)
- Vincent Ferrer,--Saint,--ca. 1350-1419
- Subject (Topic)
Manuscripts, Medieval--Connecticut--New Haven
Medieval and Renaissance Manuscripts in Beinecke Library
Sermons--Early works to 1800
Access And Usage Rights
- The use of this image may be subject to the copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code) or to site license or other rights management terms and conditions. The person using the image is liable for any infringement.
- Shailor, B. Catalogue of Medieval and Renaissance Manuscripts in the Beinecke Rare Book and Manuscript Library, Marston MS 95. and Vincent Ferrer, Sermones. General Collection, Beinecke Rare Book and Manuscript Library, Yale University.
- Orbis Record
- More Information