Humanistic commonplace book
Beinecke Rare Book and Manuscript Library > Humanistic commonplace book
- Humanistic commonplace book
- Published / Created
- [between 1460 and 1470]
- Publication Place
Manuscript on paper of a collection of extracts primarily on virtues and vices.
Binding: Fifteenth century, Italy. Strips cut from a parchment manuscript (text washed) are adhered around the fold of each quire. Original sewing on three kermes pink, slit straps. The parchment sides are sewn with the first and last quires.
Large decorated initial, f. 2r, 16-line. Body of initial formed of intricate interlace bands, yellow and brown washes, against paper and yellow and brown ground; exhibits strong shading. Display script in red and blue. Rubrics (pale red) in text in humanistic bookhand.
Script: Written in a calligraphic and sometimes flamboyant humanistic cursive script by a single scribe, below top line.
Watermarks: unidentified letter (?), in gutter.
- ff. 96 : paper ; 305 x 105 (250 x 62) mm.
- Extent of Digitization
- This object has been partially digitized.
- Beinecke Rare Book and Manuscript Library
- Call Number
- Marston MS 201
Subjects, Formats, And Genres
Access And Usage Rights
- The use of this image may be subject to the copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code) or to site license or other rights management terms and conditions. The person using the image is liable for any infringement.
Humanistic Commonplace Book. General Collection, Beinecke Rare Book and Manuscript Library, Yale University.
Shailor, B. Catalogue of Medieval and Renaissance Manuscripts in the Beinecke Rare Book and Manuscript Library, Marston MS 201.
- Orbis Record
- Object ID (OID)
- More Information