Merchant's commonplace book
- Merchant's commonplace book
- Published / Created
- [between 1350 and 1400]
- Publication Place
- Manuscript on paper. Includes notes on arithmetic and accounting for merchandise; a romance of Tristan; list of spices; astronomical and astrological information; charms and prayers; recipes; extracts in Venetian; and poems.
Belonged to Giuseppe (Joseph) Martini of Lugano; purchased from his estate by H. P. Kraus, ca. 1948. Sold in 1957 by Kraus to Thomas E. Marston, who presented it to the Beinecke Library in 1967.
Binding: 18th-19th centuries. Rigid vellum case with paste paper back endleaf and pastedowns. Central fold of each bifolium has been reinforced with a strip of parchment.
Drawings of ships, towers and merchants in ink, with added yellow, brown, green, red and blue; many diagrams. Crude 2- and 1-line initials in red, with guide-letters for rubricator showing beneath; headings in red.
Repair of f. 1 with later paper; some loss of text. Repairs at outer edges on this and other folios do not affect text.
Script: Written by a single scribe in a neat notarial hand, through f. 67v. Notes added by various hands of 14th-15th centuries.
Watermarks: similar to Briquet Fruit 7372-76, Briquet Cheval 3564, and Briquet Fruit 7341.
- ff. 69 + i : paper ; 280 x 215 (220 x 160) mm.
- Extent of Digitization
- Completely digitized
- Call Number
- Beinecke MS 327
Subjects, Formats, And Genres
- Resource Type
- Archives or Manuscripts
- Subject (Geographic)
- Venice (Italy)--Economic conditions--To 1797
- Subject (Topic)
Arithmetic--Early works to 1800
Astrology--Early works to 1800
Formulas, recipes, etc.--Early works to 1800
Illumination of books and manuscripts, Medieval
Italian literature--To 1400
Manuscripts, Medieval--Connecticut--New Haven
Medieval and Renaissance Manuscripts in Beinecke Library
Prayers--Early works to 1800
Tristan (Legendary character)
Access And Usage Rights
- The use of this image may be subject to the copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code) or to site license or other rights management terms and conditions. The person using the image is liable for any infringement.
Merchant's Commonplace Book. General Collection, Beinecke Rare Book and Manuscript Library, Yale University.
Shailor, B. Catalogue of Medieval and Renaissance Manuscripts in the Beinecke Rare Book and Manuscript Library, MS 327.
- Orbis Record
- More Information