Lexicon Greco-Latinum, etc.
- Lexicon Greco-Latinum, etc.
- Published / Created
- [ca. 1460]
- Publication Place
- Manuscript on parchment of 1) Unidentified Greek-Latin lexicon. 2) Anonymous treatise on breathing marks in Greek. 3) De formationibus temporum uerborum graecorum. 4) De praepositionum significatione et constructione. 4) De numeris.
Belonged to Sir Thomas Phillipps (no. 3384). Purchased in 1956 from L. C. Witten by Thomas E. Marston.
Binding: ca. 1500, Italy. Original sewing on three tawed skin, slit straps laid in channels on the outside of wooden boards. Gilt edges. The secondary, beaded endband is cream and green. Covered in reddish brown goatskin, blind-tooled with a floral border and fleurons in a central panel. Name of owner is gold-tooled on side in Roman letters that have been modified to form Greek letters. Spine: triple fillets at head and tail; single fillet diapering in the panels. Gold tooling added later. Traces of two fastenings, the catches on the lower board; the upper board heavily cut in for clasps. Modern title on spine: "Guarini Lexicon Ineditum. MS. in membranis".
The decoration consists of an illuminated title page, with full border, thin white vine-stem ornament with stylized foliage in red, pink, blue against blue, green and pink ground with white dots and gold balls. In outer border two vases, blue with white highlights, and three roundels framed in red, green or pink with Roman profile heads wearing fillets against blue or gold ground. In inner border foliage curling around a thin gold bar. The upper border consists of a garland, green with gold highlights, tied with red ribbons against a blue and gold ground with two masks, one spouting water. Unidentified arms (palm? tree on red ground) in center of lower border. Large illuminated initial, 12-line, gold against a predominately blue ground with some green, pink, red and gold, and sprouting vine-stem ornament, white with pale brown shading and stylized foliage in red, pink and light brown. 25 illuminated initials for letters of Greek alphabet, 6- to 5-line, gold, against blue, green and dark pink grounds with stylized white vine-stem ornament or white stylized foliage. 2 small illuminated initials (ff. 205v and 206r), 3-line, gold against blue, red and green ground with pale yellow and white dots and white filigree. Heading on f. 1r in blue; others in red. Plain initials in red.
- ff. i + 207 : parchment ; 190 x 110 (137 x ca. 63) mm.
- Extent of Digitization
- Completely digitized
Greek, Ancient (to 1453)
- Call Number
- Marston MS 94
Subjects, Formats, And Genres
- Resource Type
- Archives or Manuscripts
- Subject (Topic)
Greek language--Dictionaries--Latin--Early works to 1800
Illumination of books and manuscripts, Medieval
Manuscripts, Medieval--Connecticut--New Haven
Medieval and Renaissance Manuscripts in Beinecke Library
Access And Usage Rights
- The use of this image may be subject to the copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code) or to site license or other rights management terms and conditions. The person using the image is liable for any infringement.
- Lexicon Greco-Latinum, etc. General Collection, Beinecke Rare Book and Manuscript Library, Yale University. and Shailor, B. Catalogue of Medieval and Renaissance Manuscripts in the Beinecke Rare Book and Manuscript Library, Marston MS 94.
- Orbis Record
- More Information