- Published / Created
- Publication Place
- Manuscript on paper (trimmed) of Five Novelle. First novella about Valeria married against her will to Pietro Lombardo; Second: "Julia e Prunneo"; Third: "Lucretia e Hyeronimo"; Fourth: "Camilla e Estore"; Fifth: "Justa Victoria," by Felice Feliciano.
Binding: Eighteenth century. Gilt, gauffered edges. Brown sheepskin over wooden boards, blind-tooled. Floral woodblock paste paper pastedowns and endleaves. Two fastenings with shell-shaped clasps on the upper board and pins in the edge of the lower. Rebacked.
Decorated with several miniatures and borders in water and body color: f. i verso, full-page miniature of tomb in a landscape, with an epigraphic inscription. Arms above inscription: azure, a fess or; an inescutcheon azure, a bend wavy or. On f. 1r, a full frame, outer, inner and upper margins with bucrania, trophies, swags, jewels, arms and armor (including two shields: azure, a fess or; and azure, a bend wavy [Marcello]), in blue, pink, green and gold, framed in gold; lower margin, a parapet with a cornice, enclosing a cartouche with bust, supported by putti and flanked by the letters "A. A.", background filled with spiral flowing vines, pink, blue, green and gold, with brown hair-spray. Cartouches bearing inscriptions on ff. 53v, 82v, 105v. On f. 145v a scroll, written in red and blue letters festooned on a tree in a landscape, the ends supported by two putti. At the beginning of each novel, a 3- or 2-line initial, gold, against a purple or crimson ground with gold floral filigree; followed by several words in text script, gold against a crimson or purple rectangular ground.
Script: Written by one person in bold italic.
Watermarks: crossed arrows buried in gutter.
- ff. i + iv + 145 + ii + i : paper ; 235 x 161 (ca. 150 x 100) mm.
- Extent of Digitization
- Partially digitized
- Call Number
- Beinecke MS 412
Subjects, Formats, And Genres
- mixed material
- Resource Type
- Archives or Manuscripts
- Subject (Name)
- Feliciano, Felice,--15th cent
- Subject (Topic)
Illumination of books and manuscripts, Medieval
Italian literature--16th century
Manuscripts, Medieval--Connecticut--New Haven
Medieval and Renaissance Manuscripts in Beinecke Library
Access And Usage Rights
- The use of this image may be subject to the copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code) or to site license or other rights management terms and conditions. The person using the image is liable for any infringement.
- Novelle. General Collection, Beinecke Rare Book and Manuscript Library, Yale University. and Shailor, B. Catalogue of Medieval and Renaissance Manuscripts in the Beinecke Rare Book and Manuscript Library, MS 412.
- Orbis Record
- More Information