Pope Pius II, etc.
- Pope Pius II, etc.
- Pius II, Pope, 1405-1464
- Published / Created
- [between 1450 and 1500]
- Publication Place
- Germany and Italy,
- Manuscript on paper (various watermarks) of a Collection of the letters and papal bulls of Pope Pius II. With other texts concerning the Pope's life and prayers for him after his death. The manuscript section of the codex is divided into 13 sections. Articles 1-3 are printed texts that were bound together with the manuscripts (arts. 4-21) in the 16th century.
Binding: Sixteenth century. There are vellum stays from a 15th-century humanistic manuscript in the center of the quires. Original sewing on three double, twisted, vegetable fiber cords laced into square wooden boards. Plain wound endbands, also laced, and covered with the covering leather which is back-stitched around them. Covered in brown leather with corner tongues, blind-tooled with six-petalled flowers at the intersections of diamonds within a linear border. Brass clasp-and-catch fastening, the catch on the upper board. Rebacked, clasp and strap wanting.
Script: Each of the 13 sections written by a different scribe, usually in a cursive hand. Format and decoration differs from section to section. Rubrication throughout.
Stains throughout suggest that the sections were once bound separately.
- ff. iii + 65 + 130 + iv : paper ; 207 x 145 mm.
- Extent of Digitization
- Partially digitized
- Call Number
- Beinecke MS 188
Subjects, Formats, And Genres
- Manuscripts, Medieval--Germany--15th century.--local
- Resource Type
- Archives or Manuscripts
- Subject (Name)
- Subject (Topic)
Manuscripts, Medieval--Connecticut--New Haven
Medieval and Renaissance Manuscripts in Beinecke Library
Access And Usage Rights
- The use of this image may be subject to the copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code) or to site license or other rights management terms and conditions. The person using the image is liable for any infringement.
- Pope Pius II, etc. General Collection, Beinecke Rare Book and Manuscript Library, Yale University. and Shailor, B. Catalogue of Medieval and Renaissance Manuscripts in the Beinecke Rare Book and Manuscript Library, MS 188.
- Orbis Record
- More Information