Photographs of Peru.
- Photographs of Peru.
- Shockley, William Hillman, 1855-1925
- Published / Created
- 1903 May 18 and 1903 May-October.
- Publication Place
- Salaverry, Peru
- Photographs by William Hillman Shockley that document a trip to Peru, May-October 1903, probably in support of mining interests. Images include views of urban and rural areas throughout Peru, as well as mining camps. Locations photographed by Shockley en route to and from Peru include Colón, Panama; Puente del Inca and Aconcagua in Argentina, and Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. Locations in Peru include Ancón, Arequipa, Asilio, Huanchaco, Juliaca, Limbani, Matucana, Monte Bello, Paita Bay, Salaverry, Santo Domingo, and Tirapata. Depictions also include the Vacamayo River and Surprise River, as well as the mountains of Huascarán Mountain and Las Cuevas. Informal portraits consist of indigenous peoples, including Aymara Indians and Quechua Indians, and self-portraits of Shockley and his colleagues.
Purchased from Serendipity Books on the Edwin J. Beinecke Book Fund, 2007.
Several images have duplicate photographic prints.
Title devised by cataloger.
Typescript and manuscript inscription on versos.
William Hillman Shockley (1855-1925) was a mining engineer and botanist. His son was William Bradford Shockley (1910-1989), winner of the Nobel Prize in Physics in 1956.
1 folder (15 photographic prints) : b & w ; 8.3 x 10.7 cm.
203 photographic prints : b & w ; 8.3 x 10.7 cm.
- Extent of Digitization
- Completely digitized
- Call Number
- GEN MSS 600
- Container / Volume Information
- Box 1 | Folder 8
Subjects, Formats, And Genres
- still image
- Subject (Geographic)
Aconcagua (Argentina : Mountain)--Pictorial works
Ancón (Peru)--Pictorial works
Arequipa (Peru)--Pictorial works
Asilio (Peru)--Pictorial works
Colón (Panama)--Pictorial works
Huanchaco (La Libertad, Peru)--Pictorial works
Huascarán Mountain (Peru)--Pictorial works
Juliaca (Peru)--Pictorial works
Limbani (Peru)--Pictorial works
Matucana (Peru)--Pictorial works
Monte Bello (Peru)--Pictorial works
Paita Bay (Peru)--Pictorial works
Puente del Inca (Argentina)--Pictorial works
Rio de Janeiro (Brazil)--Pictorial works
Salaverry (Peru)--Pictorial works
Santo Domingo (Piura, Peru : District)--Pictorial works
Tirapata (Peru)--Pictorial works
Vacamayo River (Peru)--Pictorial works
- Subject (Name)
- Shockley, William Hillman,--1855-1925
- Subject (Topic)
Aymara Indians--Pictorial works
Indians of South America--Andes Region--Pictorial works
Mines and mineral resources--Peru--Pictorial works
Quechua Indians--Pictorial works
Access And Usage Rights
- The use of this image may be subject to the copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code) or to site license or other rights management terms and conditions. The person using the image is liable for any infringement.
- William Hillman Shockley, Photographs of Peru. General Collection, Beinecke Rare Book and Manuscript Library, Yale University.
- Orbis Record