Tanka of Gautama Buddha and scenes from the Vessantara Jātaka
Beinecke Rare Book and Manuscript Library > Tanka of Gautama Buddha and scenes from the Vessantara Jātaka
- Tanka of Gautama Buddha and scenes from the Vessantara Jātaka
- Unidentified Tibetan Artist
- Published / Created
- circa 1700-circa 1800
A Tibetan watercolor painting on cotton that depicts Gautama Buddha surrounded by scenes from "Vessantara Jātaka," In the story a compassionate prince gives away everything he owns, including his wife and children, thereby displaying the virtue of perfect charity. The tanka includes a silk cover.
- 1 painting: watercolor on cotton; 65.5 x 40.0 cm. bordered with silk 134 x 76 cm.
- Beinecke Rare Book and Manuscript Library
- Call Number
- Tibet MSS 62
- Collection Title
- Tanka collection
- Collection Date
- [circa 1600]-[circa 1950]
- Collection Note
- Series I. Identified Creators. Unidentified Tibetan Artist
- Container / Volume
- 3 (Oversize)
Subjects, Formats, And Genres
Access And Usage Rights
- The use of this image may be subject to the copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code) or to site license or other rights management terms and conditions. The person using the image is liable for any infringement.
- Tanka Collection. General Collection of Books and Manuscripts, Beinecke Rare Book and Manuscript Library, Yale University.
- Orbis Record
- Object ID (OID)