Original letters, 1793-1857.
- Original letters, 1793-1857.
- Smith, Pleasance (Reeve), Lady Smith, 1773-1877
- Published / Created
- Collection of letters assembled by Lady Smith from her correspondence and that of her husband, Sir James Edward Smith (1759-1828); before each section of letters, she provides a brief biographical sketch of the authors represented in those letters; the third volume contains mainly letters reacting to her husband's death and to her Memoir and Correspondence of the Late Sir J.E. Smith; collection touches on many aspects of the Smiths' interests, personal and public, scientific and literary; it illustrates their many friendships, especially with the family of William Roscoe (1753-1831) and the Holkham literary circle; especially interesting are the discussions of gardening and concerning the Linnean Society of England; on the whole it provides a well-rounded picture of Norfolk society and literature from the late 18th century to the mid 19th century; the collection includes several manuscript and printed poems.
- Binding: contemporary half-green morocco, with title: Original Letters.
1 vol. ; 28 x 22 cm.
3 vols. (ca. 165 items) ; 28 x 22 cm.
- Extent of Digitization
- Completely digitized
- Call Number
- Osborn d148
Subjects, Formats, And Genres
letters (correspondence) (AAT)
- Subject (Geographic)
Norfolk (England)--Social life and customs--18th century
Norfolk (England)--Social life and customs--19th century
- Subject (Name)
Smith, James Edward, Sir, 1759-1828
Smith, Pleasance (Reeve), Lady Smith, 1773-1877
- Subject (Topic)
Country life--Great Britain
Access And Usage Rights
- The use of this image may be subject to the copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code) or to site license or other rights management terms and conditions. The person using the image is liable for any infringement.
- Orbis Record