The Manchester hero, or, Arts yield to arms [graphic]
Lewis Walpole Library > The Manchester hero, or, Arts yield to arms [graphic]
- The Manchester hero, or, Arts yield to arms [graphic]
- Alternative Title
- Arts yield to arms
- Published / Created
- published as the act directs [1778?]
- Publication Place
- Printed for & sold by Carington Bowles at his map & print warehouse, No.69 in St. Pauls Church Yard, London
In front of a cottage, a long-haired young apprentice or tradesman in his leather apron smiles proudly as he tries on a red military coat, despite the pleas of his sweetheart who tries to pull him away. A young recruiting sergeant offers the new recruit his own plumed hat to try on, together with a tankard of ale, while in the background a drummer in a grenadier cap looks on and drinks from a glass. A recruiting broadside is tacked on the wall above, addressed to "All aspiring young men who despise slavery..."
Sheet trimmed within plate mark.
Date surmised from British Museum catalogue, v. 5, Appendix, "Key to the dates of the series of Mezzotints issued by Carington Bowles."
Numbered in lower left of plate 381.
Publication date erased from print.
- 1 print : sheet 36 x 26 cm
- Lewis Walpole Library
- Call Number
Subjects, Formats, And Genres
- Mezzotints England London 1778
- mezzotint ; and wove paper hand-colored.
- Resource Type
- still image
- Subject (Geographic)
- Subject (Topic)
Recruiting & enlistment
Military uniforms > British > 18th century
Recruiting & enlistment > England > Manchester
England > London > 1778
Access And Usage Rights
- The use of this image may be subject to the copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code) or to site license or other rights management terms and conditions. The person using the image is liable for any infringement.
- Orbis Record
- Object ID (OID)