Savoyards of fashion, or, The musical mania of 1799 [graphic]
Lewis Walpole Library > Savoyards of fashion, or, The musical mania of 1799 [graphic]
- Savoyards of fashion, or, The musical mania of 1799 [graphic]
- Alternative Title
- Musical mania of 1799
- Fores, S. W., publisher.
- Published / Created
- [24 April 1799]
- Publication Place
- Pubd. April 24th, 1799, by S.W. Fores, 50 Piccadilly
"Five ladies play musical instruments; all stand, except a performer on the triangle who is seated (right) in profile to the left. Next her a vast lady, perhaps Lady Buckinghamshire, raises a massive fist to thump a tambourine. The centre figure, who plays the cymbals with graceful energy, her head turned to the left to show a classic profile, may be Lady Charlotte Campbell .... A fat performer on the French horn inflates her cheeks grotesquely. On the extreme left a thin woman, of gipsy-like appearance, plays the true hurdy-gurdy or vielle."--British Museum online catalogue
Title etched below image.
Printseller's announcement following publication statement: Folios of caracatures [sic] lent out for the evening.
Watermark: Edmeads & Pine.
- 1 print : plate mark 31 x 40.7 cm, on sheet 33 x 46 cm
- Extent of Digitization
- This object has been no.
- Lewis Walpole Library
- Call Number
Subjects, Formats, And Genres
Caricatures and cartoons
Satires (Visual works) England 1799
Etchings England London 1799
Watermarks (Paper) Edmeades & Pine
- etching ; and laid paper hand-colored.
- Resource Type
- still image
- Subject (Geographic)
- Subject (Name)
Buckinghamshire, Albinia Hobart, Countess of, 1738-1816
Bury, Charlotte Campbell, Lady, 1775-1861
- Subject (Topic)
Clothing & dress
Buckinghamshire, Albinia Hobart, Countess of, 1738-1816 > Caricatures and cartoons
Bury, Charlotte Campbell, Lady, 1775-1861 > Caricatures and cartoons
Clothing & dress > France > 1790-1799
England > 1799
England > London > 1799
Edmeades & Pine
Access And Usage Rights
- The use of this image may be subject to the copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code) or to site license or other rights management terms and conditions. The person using the image is liable for any infringement.
- Orbis Record
- Object ID (OID)