Mrs. Gibbs the notorious street-walker & extorter [graphic].
Lewis Walpole Library > Mrs. Gibbs the notorious street-walker & extorter [graphic].
- Mrs. Gibbs the notorious street-walker & extorter [graphic].
- Gillray, James, 1756-1815, printmaker
- Published / Created
- [23 September 1799]
- Publication Place
- Publishd. Septr. 23d, 1799, & sold by all [the] book & print sellers in London
"Three-quarter length portrait, directed to the right, of a sour-looking and squinting woman, wearing a bonnet and a patterned dress. She holds a book, 'The Four Evangelists'. Beneath the title: 'Swearing at the Old Bailey to Mr J. Beck having Robbed her in Kensington Garden of which charge he was honorably acquitted - multitudes of Witnesses appearing to prove her having made similar Charges against them, in order to extort Money.' On the design: 'Caution to the Unwary! - This Pest of Society is rather of a Tall & Thin form . . . [&c, &c.]'."--British Museum online catalogue
Title etched below image.
Printmaker from British Museum catalogue.
"Price 6 d."
Sheet trimmed within plate mark on sides and bottom resulting in minor losses of text in and below the image.
- 1 print : sheet 26 x 19 cm
- Extent of Digitization
- This object has been no.
- Lewis Walpole Library
- Call Number
Subjects, Formats, And Genres
Access And Usage Rights
- The use of this image may be subject to the copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code) or to site license or other rights management terms and conditions. The person using the image is liable for any infringement.
- Orbis Record
- Object ID (OID)