The canonical beau, or, Mars in the dumps [graphic]
Lewis Walpole Library > The canonical beau, or, Mars in the dumps [graphic]
- The canonical beau, or, Mars in the dumps [graphic]
- Alternative Title
- Mars in the dumps
- Goldar, John, 1729-1795, printmaker
- Published / Created
- as the act directs, 25th Octr. 1768.
- Publication Place
- Published by T. Bradford, No. 132 Fleet Street, & H. Parker, No. 82 Cornhill
In a well furnished room a young, handsome curate is seated at one end of a sofa, surrounded by five admiring women of various ages, drinking tea and eating a biscuit. A little pug is begging for a treat. At the other end of the sofa, sits alone a very disconsolate young man, probably a veteran, with a wooden leg. His only companion is a large dog resting his head on his master's thigh. Between the soldier and the group on his left lies an open book, The Church triumphant - cedunt arma togae. Behind the sofa, a painting on the wall shows an old man being burned at stake by a group of soldiers
Title from item.
Below title: Engraved after an original picture by Mr. John Collett in the possession of Mr. Bradford.
Not in the Catalogue of prints and drawings in the British Museum. Division I, political and personal satires.
Temporary local subject terms: Clergy: curate -- Military: soldiers -- Amputees -- Peg legs -- Pets: dogs -- Pictures amplifying subject: a saint(?) burned at stake by soldiers -- Furniture: Chippendale sofa -- Furniture: armchair -- Furniture: upholstered screen -- Furnishings: ornate picture frame -- Furnishings: carpet -- Female dress, 1768 -- Dishes: teacups -- Food: biscuits.
Watermark: J Whatman.
- 1 print : plate mark 33.1 x 37.3 cm, on sheet 34 x 38 cm
- Lewis Walpole Library
- Call Number
Subjects, Formats, And Genres
Satires (Visual works) England 1768
Engravings England London 1768
Etchings England London 1768
Watermarks (Paper) J Whatman
- etching & engraving ; and wove paper.
- Resource Type
- still image
England > 1768
England > London > 1768
Access And Usage Rights
- The use of this image may be subject to the copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code) or to site license or other rights management terms and conditions. The person using the image is liable for any infringement.
- Orbis Record
- Object ID (OID)