The macaroni cauldron [graphic].
Lewis Walpole Library > The macaroni cauldron [graphic].
- The macaroni cauldron [graphic].
- Darly, M. publisher.
- Published / Created
- [9 March 1772]
- Publication Place
- Pubd. accordg. to act March 9, 1772, by MDarly, 39 Strand
"Satire: a macaroni standing and throwing dice on a table around which five men wearing pointed hats with eye-shades in front are seated."--British Museum online catalogue, description of a variant state
Eight lines of text from the Epilogue to The Grecian Daughter etched on the table cover within image: Bubble, bubble, yoil and trouble, Passions burn, And bets are double! ...
Title etched below image.
Initial letters of publisher's name in imprint form a monogram.
Printseller's announcement in lower left corner of plate: To be had with many other Macaronies pubd. by MDarly (39) Strand.
Eight lines of verse from Epilogue to the Grecian daughter in two columns on either side of title: Some muffled, like the witches in Macbeth, brood o'er the magic circle, pale as death! ...
For a variant state with plate number "17" etched in upper left corner, see no. 4829 in the Catalogue of prints and drawings in the British Museum. Division I, political and personal satires, v. 4.
Temporary local subject terms: Macaronies -- Club and toupee wigs -- Gamblers' hats -- Stephen Fox, 2nd Baron Holland (1745-1774) -- Allusion to anti-gambling legislation -- Literature: Allusion to Macbeth -- Literature: Allusion to and quotation from the Epilogue to The Grecian daughter, by Arthur Murphy (1727-1805).
Watermark: Strasburg bend with initials G R below.
- 1 print : plate mark 24.8 x 35.1 cm, on sheet 27 x 36 cm
- Extent of Digitization
- This object has been no.
- [State without plate number].
- Lewis Walpole Library
- Call Number
- Collection Title
- Leaf 15. Darly's comic-prints of characters, caricatures, macaronies, &c.
- Collection Date
- [London] : Pubd. by Mary Darly, Jany. 1, 1776.
Subjects, Formats, And Genres
Satires (Visual works) England 1772
Etchings England London 1772
Engravings England London 1772
- etching and engraving ; and laid paper.
- Resource Type
- still image
- Subject (Topic)
Dandies > British
England > 1772
England > London > 1772
Access And Usage Rights
- The use of this image may be subject to the copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code) or to site license or other rights management terms and conditions. The person using the image is liable for any infringement.
- Orbis Record
- Object ID (OID)