A character [graphic]
Lewis Walpole Library > A character [graphic]
- A character [graphic]
- Gulston, Eliza B., 1749 or 1750-1779 or 1780, printmaker
- Darly, M. publisher.
- Published / Created
- May 19th, 1772.
- Publication Place
- Pubd. by MDarly at 39 Strand accor. to act
"A man standing in profile to right, apparently caricatured for his old-fashioned dress and straight lank figure. His left hand is outstretched, his right holds a sword of which only the hilt is visible. He wears a wide flat hat and bag-wig. His long narrow coat hangs well below his knees."--British Museum online catalogue
Title from caption below image.
Printmaker identified in British Museum online catalogue.
Initial letters of publisher's name in imprint form a monogram.
Verse in two columns below image: "An Ugly Face & Staring Hat, A Carcase which has lost its Fat. An ill shap'd Coat, too bad for shew Yet Hides the Aukward Legs below. The Sword a Thing not meant for Harm And Therefore Hug'd betwixt the Arm. Whene'er at Court he shews his Face The Breeding Ladies Quit the Place Take him in short from Top to Toe And set him down the Queer Old Beau."
Plate from vol. III: Macaronies, characters, caricatures &c. [London] : Pubd. by MDarly, 39 Strand, 1772.
Plate numbered "7" in upper right corner.
- 1 print : plate mark 17.9 x 12.6 cm, on sheet 25.0 x 15.2 cm
- Extent of Digitization
- This object has been no.
- [State without volume number].
- Lewis Walpole Library
- Call Number
- Folio 72 771 D37 v.3 plate 7
Subjects, Formats, And Genres
Satires (Visual works) England 1772
Etchings England London 1772
- etching ; and laid paper hand-colored.
- Resource Type
- still image
- Subject (Geographic)
- Subject (Topic)
Clothing & dress
Clothing & dress > England > 1770-1780
Dandies > British
England > 1772
England > London > 1772
Access And Usage Rights
- The use of this image may be subject to the copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code) or to site license or other rights management terms and conditions. The person using the image is liable for any infringement.
- Orbis Record
- Object ID (OID)