A militia meeting [graphic]
Lewis Walpole Library > A militia meeting [graphic]
- A militia meeting [graphic]
- Bretherton, James, approximately 1730-1806, printmaker
Bunbury, Henry William, 1750-1811, artist.
Bretherton, James, approximately 1730-1806, publisher.
- Published / Created
- [2 January 1773]
- Publication Place
- Publish'd as the act directs, 2d Jany. 1773, by J. Bretherton, No. 134 New Bond Street
A satire showing three men all with caricatured faces stand in front of two men, one of whom is obese and points to them, sit at a table. Behind them pinned to the wall are a map and portrait. Two dogs, one large and black and the other small and white, raise their paws at each other
Title from text below image.
Initial letters of artist's name in signature form a monogram.
Later state, with slight alterations to the design. For an earlier state with less drypoint shading, see Lewis Walpole Library call no.: Bunbury 773.01.02.02.1+.
Temporary local subject terms: Pictures amplifying subject.
- 1 print : plate mark 26.5 x 40 cm, on sheet 29 x 41 cm
- Extent of Digitization
- This object has been no.
- [State with additional drypoint shading].
- Lewis Walpole Library
- Call Number
- Bunbury 773.01.02.02.2+
Subjects, Formats, And Genres
Satires (Visual works) England 1773
Etchings England London 1773
Drypoints England London 1773
- etching and drypoint ; and laid paper.
- Resource Type
- still image
- Subject (Topic)
England > 1773
England > London > 1773
Access And Usage Rights
- The use of this image may be subject to the copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code) or to site license or other rights management terms and conditions. The person using the image is liable for any infringement.
- Orbis Record
- Object ID (OID)