The light guinea, or, Capt. Flash detected [graphic].
Lewis Walpole Library > The light guinea, or, Capt. Flash detected [graphic].
- The light guinea, or, Capt. Flash detected [graphic].
- Alternative Title
Capt. Flash detected
Captain Flash detected
- Published / Created
- [17 August 1774]
- Publication Place
- Pubd. Augt. 17, 1774, by MDarly, 39 Strand
A harlot sits on a curved sofa, her right arm resting on a table in front of her. In her right hand she holds a set of scales as she points to the gold coin in the scales which indicate that the guinea given her by the her companion is defective. An officer in a macaroni-style wig and captain's uniform (with sword and cutlass) wears a slight smile on his face as he stands at the table, hands in his pockets, watching her weigh the gold. On the wall behind them is a picture of Justice holding her scales further amplyfing the subject. Opposite the table on the right is an upholstered chair
Title from caption etched below image.
Sheet trimmed within plate mark on top and sides.
Initial letters of publisher's name in imprint form a monogram.
Not in the Catalogue of prints and drawings in the British Museum. Division I, political and personal satires.
- 1 print : sheet 26 x 18 cm
- Lewis Walpole Library
- Call Number
Subjects, Formats, And Genres
Satires (Visual works) England 1774
Etchings England London 1774
Drypoints England London 1774
- etching & drypoint with mezzotinting ; and laid paper.
- Resource Type
- still image
- Subject (Geographic)
- Great Britain
- Subject (Topic)
Daggers & swords
Daggers & swords
Military uniforms > Great Britain > 18th century
England > 1774
England > London > 1774
Access And Usage Rights
- The use of this image may be subject to the copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code) or to site license or other rights management terms and conditions. The person using the image is liable for any infringement.
- Orbis Record
- Object ID (OID)