An English sloop engaging a Dutch man of war [graphic].
Lewis Walpole Library > An English sloop engaging a Dutch man of war [graphic].
- An English sloop engaging a Dutch man of war [graphic].
Dighton, Robert, 1752-1814, artist.
Bowles, Carington, 1724-1793, publisher.
- Published / Created
- publishd. as the act directs, 
- Publication Place
- Printed for & sold by Carington Bowles at his Map & Print Warehouse, No. 69 in St. Pauls Church Yard
"A Dutchman (left), smoking a short pipe, hands in his pockets, is being chucked under the chin by a gaily dressed courtesan (right), her left hand on her hip. He wears the round hat and baggy breeches of the Dutchman in caricature. Both stand full-face, each looks towards the other. The background is formed by the lower part of houses in Covent Garden showing the arcade of the Piazza, a sedan chair (right) stands under an arch. Immediately behind the two figures are vegetables and baskets."--British Museum online catalogue
Title from text below image.
After watercolor by Robert Dighton.
Date from British Museum catalogue.
Description based on imperfect impression; publication date erased from this impression or burnished from plate.
Plate numbered '455' in lower left corner.
Matted to 62 x 47 cm.
- 1 print : plate mark 35.6 x 25.0 cm, on sheet 48.0 x 29.0 cm
- Extent of Digitization
- This object has been no.
- Lewis Walpole Library
- Call Number
Subjects, Formats, And Genres
Satires (Visual works) England 1781
Mezzotints England London 1781
- mezzotint ; and laid paper hand-colored.
- Resource Type
- still image
- Subject (Topic)
England > 1781
England > London > 1781
Access And Usage Rights
- The use of this image may be subject to the copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code) or to site license or other rights management terms and conditions. The person using the image is liable for any infringement.
- Orbis Record
- Object ID (OID)