Lewis Walpole Library > The reconciliation
- The reconciliation
- Rowlandson, Thomas, 1756-1827, printmaker
- Published / Created
- [20 June 1786]
- Publication Place
- Pubd. June 20th, 1786, by E. Jackson, No. 14, Marylebone Street, Golden Square
"The interior of a boarded hut, the inn at Glenelg. Johnson (left) stands by a table, Ogden (see BMSat 7031) open in his right hand, his left held meditatively to his cheek. Boswell (right) kneels beside him, his hands clasped in prayer, his face puckered as if weeping. He wears a hood or bonnet as a night-cap, his legs are bare. Johnson is dressed, wearing slippers; his boots and oak stick lean against the table."--British Museum online catalogue
Title etched below image.
One in a series of twenty plates by Rowlandson after S. Collings. See British Museum catalogue, v. 6, page 345.
Plate from: Picturesque beauties of Boswell, Part the Second. [London] : [E. Jackson], 
Five lines of verse below title: "I resumed the subject of my leaving him on the road, & endeavoured to defend it better ..." Vide Journal p. 164.
Sheet trimmed within plate mark.
Temporary local subject terms: Ogden -- Literature quotations -- Interior of boarded hut.
In mss. in lower left corner: E -156.
- 1 print : sheet 25.3 x 28 cm
- Lewis Walpole Library
- Call Number
- 786.06.20.03+ Impression 1
Subjects, Formats, And Genres
Caricatures and cartoons
Satires (Visual works) England 1786
Etchings England London 1786
- etching ; and laid paper.
- Resource Type
- still image
- Subject (Name)
Johnson, Samuel, 1709-1784
Boswell, James, 1740-1795
Boswell, James, 1740-1795.
Johnson, Samuel, 1709-1784 > Caricatures and cartoons
Boswell, James, 1740-1795 > Caricatures and cartoons
Boswell, James, 1740-1795 > Illustrations
England > 1786
England > London > 1786
Riviere & Son > Binding
Auchincloss, Hugh Dudley > Ownership
Harvey, Francis > Ownership
Access And Usage Rights
- The use of this image may be subject to the copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code) or to site license or other rights management terms and conditions. The person using the image is liable for any infringement.
- Orbis Record
- Object ID (OID)