Frontispiece for the 2d edition of Dr. J-----n's letters [graphic]
Lewis Walpole Library > Frontispiece for the 2d edition of Dr. J-----n's letters [graphic]
- Frontispiece for the 2d edition of Dr. J-----n's letters [graphic]
- Alternative Title
- Frontispiece for the 2d edition of Dr. Johnson's letters
- Sayers, James, 1748-1823, printmaker
- Published / Created
- 7th April 1788.
- Publication Place
- Publd. by Thos. Cornell
A satirical print rebuking the many writers who profited by writing memoirs of Samuel Johnson. On the left, Mrs. Piozzi is seated at her writing desk in her study. With a look of astonishment. she looks behind her at the ghost of Samuel Johnson in a night shirt who with his right hand points to the portraits of James Boswell and Sir John Hawkins on the wall and in his left hand holds a money purse. Another portrait on the far right depicts John Courtenay with a pen in his hand looking toward a bust of Prisian. On her desk is a letter "D Johnson ... Letters Dear Lady", implying that she has been concoting Johnson's letters to her. Immediately above her desk in the middle of the wall of books, a violin, an allusion to her second husband a musician, obscures the portrait of her first husband Henry Thrale
Title etched below image.
Signed with the monogram of James Sayers.
Twenty-four lines of verse in two columns below title: Madam! my debt to nature paid, I thought the grave with hallow'd shade would now protect my name ...
Contemporary mss. note on verso.
- 1 print : plate mark 25 x 17.8 cm, on sheet 30 x 27 cm
- Lewis Walpole Library
- Call Number
- 788.04.07.01 Impression 1
- Collection Title
- Leaf 39. Folio album of 144 caricatures.
- Collection/Other Creator
- Sayers, James, 1748-1823.
- Collection Date
- [London], [between 1782 and 1810]
Subjects, Formats, And Genres
Caricatures and cartoons
Satires (Visual works) England 1788
Etchings England London 1788
Annotations (Provenance) 18th century
- etching with stipple on laid paper ;
- Resource Type
- still image
- Subject (Name)
Piozzi, Hester Lynch, 1741-1821
Johnson, Samuel, 1709-1784
Boswell, James, 1740-1795
Hawkins, John, 1719-1789
Courtenay, John, 1738-1816
Thrale, Henry, 1728-1781
- Subject (Topic)
Piozzi, Hester Lynch, 1741-1821 > Caricatures and cartoons
Johnson, Samuel, 1709-1784 > Caricatures and cartoons
Boswell, James, 1740-1795 > Caricatures and cartoons
Hawkins, John, 1719-1789 > Caricatures and cartoons
Courtenay, John, 1738-1816 > Caricatures and cartoons
Thrale, Henry, 1728-1781 > Caricatures and cartoons
England > 1788
England > London > 1788
Eldon, John Scott, Earl of, 1751-1838 > Ownership
Sayers, James, 1748-1823 > Ownership
Access And Usage Rights
- The use of this image may be subject to the copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code) or to site license or other rights management terms and conditions. The person using the image is liable for any infringement.
- Orbis Record
- Object ID (OID)