Mason, the duke's confectioner, disposing of the trinkets [graphic].
Lewis Walpole Library > Mason, the duke's confectioner, disposing of the trinkets [graphic].
- Mason, the duke's confectioner, disposing of the trinkets [graphic].
- Gillray, James, 1756-1815, printmaker
- Humphrey, Hannah, active 1774-1817, publisher.
- Published / Created
- [21 July 1788]
- Publication Place
- Pubd. July 21st, 1788, by H. Humphrey, New Bond Street
"A scene representing the hustings at the Westminster election. Fox (right) stealthily enters a door leading to the side of the hustings, carrying on his shoulder a sack from holes in which guineas and a Garter jewel are issuing. On the left, on the hustings, Townshend stands between two supporters, resting an elbow on the shoulder of each: one (left) is a chimney-sweep, waving his brush, his shovel is inscribed 'Townsend'; the other is a butcher, waving his hat. Behind, the profile heads of Burke (left) and Hanger (right) face each other. A crowd is indicated at the back of the hustings, and a large banner inscribed 'Noble Townsend' is conspicuous. In front of Townshend is a poll-clerk who offers a Testament to a Jew who stands outside the hustings about to take the 'bribery oath'. Over his shoulders hangs a pair of breeches, under his arm is a hat inscribed 'Townsend'. On the door through which Fox enters is a placard: 'Liberty & Property Secured'. Fox looks with a sly smile at Townshend and his supporters; from his pocket protrudes a document inscribed 'Ways & Means'."--British Museum online catalogue
Title etched below image.
Attributed to Gillray in the British Museum catalogue.
Reissue with altered price, from 5 s. to 1 s.
Following imprint: Price 1 s.
Mounted to 30 x 38.
- 1 print : plate mark 25.1 x 34.9 cm, on sheet 27 x 36 cm
- Extent of Digitization
- This object has been no.
- [State with price altered to 1 s.].
- Lewis Walpole Library
- Call Number
Subjects, Formats, And Genres
Caricatures and cartoons
Satires (Visual works) England 1788
Aquatints England London 1788
Etchings England London 1788
- aquatint & etching ; and wove paper.
- Resource Type
- still image
- Subject (Name)
Fox, Charles James, 1749-1806
Burke, Edmund, 1729-1797
Hanger, George, 1751?-1824
Townsend, John, 1757-1826
Fox, Charles James, 1749-1806 > Caricatures and cartoons
Burke, Edmund, 1729-1797 > Caricatures and cartoons
Hanger, George, 1751?-1824 > Caricatures and cartoons
Townsend, John, 1757-1826 > Caricatures and cartoons
England > 1788
England > London > 1788
Riviere & Son > Binding
Auchincloss, Hugh Dudley > Ownership
Harvey, Francis > Ownership
Access And Usage Rights
- The use of this image may be subject to the copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code) or to site license or other rights management terms and conditions. The person using the image is liable for any infringement.
- Orbis Record
- Object ID (OID)