A kick-up at a hazard table! [graphic]
Lewis Walpole Library > A kick-up at a hazard table! [graphic]
- A kick-up at a hazard table! [graphic]
- Rowlandson, Thomas, 1756-1827, printmaker
- Published / Created
- [March 1790]
- Publication Place
- Publish'd March 1790 by Wm. Holland, Oxford Street
"A wild affray round a circular gaming-table seen at close range, only the heads and shoulders of those on the nearer side of the table being visible. An angry military officer wearing a cocked hat, with an empty wallet on the table before him, leans forward aiming his pistol at a lean and elderly man whose 'chapeau bras' and long pigtail indicate that he is French. The latter covers a pile of guineas with his hand and aims a pistol at his assailant. Some of the players are falling over in their eagerness to escape. Between the combatants, and on the further side of the table, one man holds a chair above his head, about to smite the officer; a fellow-officer raises a bottle and a candle-stick to strike the Frenchman. All the persons (sixteen) are in violent action, with which their expressions correspond. Some are in flight, others about to intervene. On the table are a triple candle-stick, a dice-box and dice, a sword, a hat containing coins, and a purse."--British Museum online catalogue
Title from caption below image.
Printmaker's signature from impression in British Museum.
Description based on imperfect impression; sheet trimmed within plate mark and printmaker's signature has been mostly erased.
Watermark: J. Whatman.
- 1 print : sheet 38 x 51 cm
- Lewis Walpole Library
- Call Number
Subjects, Formats, And Genres
Satires (Visual works) England 1790
Etchings England London 1790
Aquatints England London 1790
- etching with aquatint ; and wove paper hand-colored.
- Resource Type
- still image
- Subject (Topic)
Men > French
Military uniforms > British
England > 1790
England > London > 1790
Access And Usage Rights
- The use of this image may be subject to the copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code) or to site license or other rights management terms and conditions. The person using the image is liable for any infringement.
- Orbis Record
- Object ID (OID)