Swearing to the cutting monster, or, A scene in Bow Street [graphic].
Lewis Walpole Library > Swearing to the cutting monster, or, A scene in Bow Street [graphic].
- Swearing to the cutting monster, or, A scene in Bow Street [graphic].
- Alternative Title
- Scene in Bow Street
- Gillray, James, 1756-1815, printmaker
- Bohn, Henry G. 1796-1884, publisher.
- Published / Created
- [20 May 1790] and [printed 1851]
- Publication Place
- Pub. May 20th, 1790, by H. Humphrey, No. 18 Old Bond Street
Title etched at bottom of image.
Printmaker from Briitsh Museum catalogue.
Date of printing based on that of Bohn's Suppressed plates.
Plate from: Bohn, ii, 16, Suppressed plates.
Numbered '16' in lower right corner.
Reissue, with added plate numbering. Cf. Catalogue of prints and drawings in the British Museum. Division I, political and personal satires, v. 6, no. 7648.
Temporary local subject terms: Bow Street Justices -- Symbols: scales of Justice -- Wright, Sampson, fl. 1790 -- Bond, John, fl. 1790 -- Allusion to William Renwick, 'The Monster.'
- 1 print : plate mark 25.1 x 34.8 cm, on sheet 27 x 36 cm
- Extent of Digitization
- This object has been no.
- Lewis Walpole Library
- Call Number
Subjects, Formats, And Genres
Caricatures and cartoons
Satires (Visual works) England 1790
Drypoints England London 1790
Etchings England London 1790
- etching & drypoint ; and wove paper.
- Resource Type
- still image
- Subject (Name)
Fox, Charles James, 1749-1806
Addington, William, Sir, -1811
Fox, Charles James, 1749-1806 > Caricatures and cartoons
Addington, William, Sir, -1811 > Caricatures and cartoons
England > 1790
England > London > 1790
Access And Usage Rights
- The use of this image may be subject to the copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code) or to site license or other rights management terms and conditions. The person using the image is liable for any infringement.
- Orbis Record
- Object ID (OID)