Nude standing by a bentwood bed in an eccentrically appointed bedroom.
The digital version of this work is restricted due to copyright or other restrictions.
- Nude standing by a bentwood bed in an eccentrically appointed bedroom.
Bellocq, E. J
Bellocq, E. J
- Published / Created
- Publication Place
- Storyville, New Orleans, Louisiana
Photographs created by E. J. Bellocq chiefly of nude prostitutes in Storyville, New Orleans, Louisiana, circa 1910-1915, and printed from his negatives by an unidentified printer, probably in 1950. E. J. Bellocq (1873-1949), born John Ernest Joseph Bellocq, was a commercial photographer who worked in New Orleans, Louisiana, circa 1902-circa 1940. Bellocq is best known for his photographs of prostitutes working in Storyville, the legalized red light district of New Orleans.
Print No. 1 depicts a partially nude woman posed standing in profile beside a bentwood bed; her left arm rests on a draped nightstand. She wears opera stockings with bows, as well as underwear gathered at her waist, which exposes her torso. Other elements of the room include a canopy and lace mosquito curtain over the bed, as well as a comforter, pillows, and flower on it. Artwork in the room includes a portrait of a woman and sculpture of a female figure on the nightstand, as well as an indistinct portrait of a woman in a heart-shaped mat on the wall.
Linen mat tape affixed to verso of each print with a pencil number inscription, 1-7, probably inscribed by Abraham Stransky.
Pencil inscriptions on the verso of each print in an unidentified hand, probably transcribed from original mats: "Ernest J. Bellocq (?-1938) Storyville, photog. New Orleans, La."; "Test print obtained by me (A. S.) in 1950, from owner of the glass negatives at that time"; "Photo: circa: 1912"; "See: 'E. J. Bellocq,' Pub. by Museum of Modem Art - 1970 & Rose, Al: 'Storyville, New Orleans' - 1974"; and "Bellocq made photos: 1895-1930s."
1 folder (1 photographic print) : b&w ; 22.7 x 17.8 cm.
7 photographic prints : b & w ; 22.7 x 17.7 cm. and smaller.
- Extent of Digitization
- This object has been completely digitized.
- Beinecke Rare Book and Manuscript Library
- Call Number
- YCAL MSS 732
- Collection Title
- Portraits of prostitutes in Storyville, New Orleans, Louisiana.
- Collection/Other Creator
- Bellocq, E. J
- Collection Date
- Container / Volume
- Box 1 | Folder 1
Subjects, Formats, And Genres
- still image
Gelatin silver prints
- Subject (Geographic)
- Storyville (New Orleans, La.)--Pictorial works
- Subject (Name)
Bellocq, E. J
- Subject (Topic)
Photography of the nude
Photography of women--Louisiana--New Orleans
Prostitutes--Louisiana--New Orleans--Pictorial works
Access And Usage Rights
- Yale Community Only
- The use of this image may be subject to the copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code) or to site license or other rights management terms and conditions. The person using the image is liable for any infringement.
- E. J. Bellocq, Portraits of Prostitutes in Storyville, New Orleans, Louisiana. Yale Collection of American Literature, Beinecke Rare Book and Manuscript Library.
- Orbis Record
- Object ID (OID)