Nude reclining on a wicker chaise lounge.
The digital version of this work is restricted to the Yale Community.
- Nude reclining on a wicker chaise lounge.
- Bellocq, E. J and Stransky, Abraham,--1910-1995
- Published / Created
- Publication Place
- Storyville, New Orleans, Louisiana
- Photographs created by E. J. Bellocq chiefly of nude prostitutes in Storyville, New Orleans, Louisiana, circa 1910-1915, and printed from his negatives by an unidentified printer, probably in 1950. E. J. Bellocq (1873-1949), born John Ernest Joseph Bellocq, was a commercial photographer who worked in New Orleans, Louisiana, circa 1902-circa 1940. Bellocq is best known for his photographs of prostitutes working in Storyville, the legalized red light district of New Orleans. and Print No. 3 depicts a nude woman reclining on a wicker chaise lounge with a pillow.
Linen mat tape affixed to verso of each print with a pencil number inscription, 1-7, probably inscribed by Abraham Stransky.
Pencil inscriptions on the verso of each print in an unidentified hand, probably transcribed from original mats: "Ernest J. Bellocq (?-1938) Storyville, photog. New Orleans, La."; "Test print obtained by me (A. S.) in 1950, from owner of the glass negatives at that time"; "Photo: circa: 1912"; "See: 'E. J. Bellocq,' Pub. by Museum of Modem Art - 1970 & Rose, Al: 'Storyville, New Orleans' - 1974"; and "Bellocq made photos: 1895-1930s."
1 folder (1 photographic print) : b&w ; 12.5 x 20.3 cm.
7 photographic prints : b & w ; 22.7 x 17.7 cm. and smaller.
- Extent of Digitization
- Completely digitized
- Call Number
- YCAL MSS 732
- Collection Title
- Portraits of prostitutes in Storyville, New Orleans, Louisiana.
- Collection/Other Creator
- Bellocq, E. J
- Collection Date
- Container / Volume Information
- Box 1 | Folder 3
Subjects, Formats, And Genres
- still image
Gelatin silver prints
- Subject (Geographic)
- Storyville (New Orleans, La.)--Pictorial works
- Subject (Name)
Bellocq, E. J
- Subject (Topic)
Photography of the nude
Photography of women--Louisiana--New Orleans
Prostitutes--Louisiana--New Orleans--Pictorial works
Access And Usage Rights
- Yale Community Only
- The use of this image may be subject to the copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code) or to site license or other rights management terms and conditions. The person using the image is liable for any infringement.
- E. J. Bellocq, Portraits of Prostitutes in Storyville, New Orleans, Louisiana. Yale Collection of American Literature, Beinecke Rare Book and Manuscript Library.
- Orbis Record