A tartan belle of 1792 [graphic].
Lewis Walpole Library > A tartan belle of 1792 [graphic].
- A tartan belle of 1792 [graphic].
- Cruikshank, Isaac, 1756?-1811?, printmaker
- Fores, S. W., publisher.
- Published / Created
- [21 June 1792]
- Publication Place
- Pub. June 21, 1792, by S.W. Fores, No. 3 Piccadilly
"A young woman walks mincingly (left to right), her left hand extended, in her right is a large closed fan. Check or tartan ribbons form the crown of her hat and the bows with which it is trimmed. A similar tartan is worn as a pelerine, crossed at the waist and tied in a bow, long voluminous ends hanging down the back of her dress. A tartan ribbon is tied to the handle of her fan. From the brim of her hat, in which is an erect ostrich feather, hangs a transparent curtain of gauze. Her hair, cut short across the forehead, hangs down her back in a long queue, tied up at the end with a bow. There is a landscape background."--British Museum online catalogue
Title from item.
Printmaker from British Museum online catalogue.
Temporary local subject terms: Female costume.
Watermark (partial): Strasburg lily with initials G R below, center left
- 1 print : plate mark 31.2 x 22.6 cm, on sheet 32 x 23 cm
- Extent of Digitization
- This object has been no.
- Lewis Walpole Library
- Call Number
Subjects, Formats, And Genres
Access And Usage Rights
- The use of this image may be subject to the copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code) or to site license or other rights management terms and conditions. The person using the image is liable for any infringement.
- Orbis Record
- Object ID (OID)