Hours and offices for a religious community
- Hours and offices for a religious community
- Published / Created
- Publication Place
- Braṣow, Romania,
- Manuscript on parchment of a Book of Hours for the use of a convent.
Binding: Seventeenth century. Damaged brownish pigskin over bevelled wooden boards, the covers blind-tooled with frames of fillets and rolls; the central rectangle on the front cover, otherwise free, is decorated with a large oval stamp, heavily worn but probably picturing the Virgin in the Sun. Spine with three raised bands. Remnants of two brass clasps attached to the rear cover. Marks of a chain attachment at the bottom of the rear cover. Red edges.
Headings and rubrics in red. Heightening of majuscules in red. 1-line red versals; 2-line plain initials (sometimes slightly decorated) in red. Intricate large flourished cadels in black filled with red in the texts accompanying musical notation. Art. 4 opens with a 6-line littera duplex in red and brownish red with red penwork. Guide letters for all initials. On f. 29v full-page picture of the crowned Virgin and Child, Mary presenting a flower to the Child, on a flowery pink background in a green and red rectangular frame.
On some pages the ink is very faded.
Script: Copied mainly by one hand writing Northern Textualis Formata in two sizes with Central European features. A second less formal hand copied ff. 29r, lines 11-18 and 30r-31v, i.e. the beginning of art. 2. Musical notation in Nota Quadrata.
- ff. 137 : parchment ; 160 x 115 mm.
- Extent of Digitization
- Completely digitized
- Call Number
- Beinecke MS 756
Subjects, Formats, And Genres
- still image and text
- parchment and still
- Resource Type
- Archives or Manuscripts
- Subject (Name)
- Catholic Church--Prayers and devotions
- Subject (Topic)
Books of hours
Illumination of books and manuscripts, Medieval
Manuscripts, Medieval--Connecticut--New Haven
Medieval and Renaissance Manuscripts in Beinecke Library
Monasticism and religious orders
Access And Usage Rights
- The use of this image may be subject to the copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code) or to site license or other rights management terms and conditions. The person using the image is liable for any infringement.
- Hours and Offices for a Religious Community. General Collection, Beinecke Rare Book and Manuscript Library, Yale University.
- Orbis Record
- More Information