- Prayer book
- Published / Created
- [between 1400 and 1450]
- Publication Place
- Manuscript on parchment (calfskin) of a collection of prayers, passion narratives and hymns.
Binding: Seventeenth century. Plain brown leather over pasteboard. The spine gold-tooled, with five raised bands. Paper pastedowns; red sprinkled edges.
Headings in red. Heightening of the majuscules in yellow. 1-line plain versals alternately red and blue; 2-line plain initials and 4-line initials (plain or of the littera duplex type, but without penwork; 5-line on ff. 2r, 126v and 145r) in red and/or blue. Although the main prayers and hymns generally begin with a 4- or 5-line initial, the distribution of the various kinds of initials often seems at random.
Script: Copied by one hand in Gothica Textualis Libraria (Textus Quadratus, approximately Oeser variant II), with a tendency to develop cadels on the top line, in some cases (f. 57v) featuring a human profile.
- ff. iii + 153 + iii : parchment ; 205 x 140 mm.
- Extent of Digitization
- Completely digitized
French, Middle (ca.1400-1600)
- Call Number
- Beinecke MS 757
Subjects, Formats, And Genres
- still image and text
- parchment and still
- Resource Type
- Archives or Manuscripts
- Subject (Name)
- Catholic Church--Prayers and devotions
- Subject (Topic)
Manuscripts, Medieval--Connecticut--New Haven
Medieval and Renaissance Manuscripts in Beinecke Library
Passion narratives (Gospels)
Access And Usage Rights
- The use of this image may be subject to the copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code) or to site license or other rights management terms and conditions. The person using the image is liable for any infringement.
- Prayer Book. General Collection, Beinecke Rare Book and Manuscript Library, Yale University.
- Orbis Record
- More Information