- Accolti, Francesco, 1416 or 17-1488, Arnulfus, Aurelianensis, 12th cent, and Ovid, 43 B.C.-17 or 18 A.D
- Published / Created
- Publication Place
- Manuscript on paper of Publius Ovidius Naso (43 B.C. - 17 A.D.), Metamorphoses. With Franciscus de Aretio (Francesco Accolti, 1416/1417-1488), Epigramma Ovidii Metamorphoseos; Life of Ovid, based on that by Arnulf of Orléans.
Binding: Binding of cardboard covered with fragments of a large 12th-century Italian manuscript on parchment containing the Passion of Abdon and Sennen, into which the Passion of Olympiades and Maximus is incorporated. Copied in large Southern Praegothica Formata; the text opens with a red initial. The title “OVIDIUS”, preceded by a floweret, is written in ink in large capitals on the lower edge of the codex.
Red paragraph marks on ff. 1r-10v and 188v-189v. Spaces for headings blank. In art. 1 spaces for initials (5-11 lines) at the beginning of each Book and also on f. 10v (Metam. 1.583); the initials are not executed.
Script: Copied by one hand in a rather irregular Humanistica Libraria of an exceptional type: Textualis with f and long s descending below the line. Opening lines of Book 1 in Capitalis.
- ff. i + 189 + i : paper ; 280 x 205 mm.
- Extent of Digitization
- Completely digitized
- Call Number
- Beinecke MS 774
Subjects, Formats, And Genres
Manuscript waste (Binding)
- Resource Type
- Archives or Manuscripts
- Subject (Name)
- Ovid,--43 B.C.-17 or 18 A.D
- Subject (Topic)
Biography--Middle Ages, 500-1500
Epic poetry, Latin
Manuscripts, Medieval--Connecticut--New Haven
Medieval and Renaissance Manuscripts in Beinecke Library
Access And Usage Rights
- The use of this image may be subject to the copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code) or to site license or other rights management terms and conditions. The person using the image is liable for any infringement.
- Ovid, Metamorphoses. General Collection, Beinecke Rare Book and Manuscript Library, Yale University.
- Orbis Record
- More Information