The salute vide the parade / [graphic]
Lewis Walpole Library > The salute vide the parade / [graphic]
- The salute vide the parade / [graphic]
- Gillray, James, 1756-1815, printmaker
- Humphrey, Hannah, active 1774-1817, publisher.
- Published / Created
- [10 July 1797]
- Publication Place
- Pubd. July 10th, 1797, by H. Humphrey, 27 St. James's Street
"An officer (left) on a charger, evidently General Davies, see BMSat 9442, directed to the right, takes the salute from three officers who march (right to left) past him. The first, sabre in hand, point downwards, holds his left hand across the front of his high cocked hat. A young officer follows, carrying a standard of the Union flag with the White Horse of Hanover and a crown. The third marches with almost closed eyes and sword held point upwards. A crowd of amused spectators backed by a high wall forms a background."--British Museum online catalogue
Title etched below image.
Sheet trimmed within plate mark.
Temporary local subject terms: Emblems: royal crown -- White horse of Hanover.
- 1 print : sheet 27 x 37 cm
- Extent of Digitization
- This object has been no.
- Lewis Walpole Library
- Call Number
Subjects, Formats, And Genres
Caricatures and cartoons
Satires (Visual works) England 1797
Etchings England London 1797
- etching ; and wove paper hand-colored.
- Resource Type
- still image
- Subject (Geographic)
- Great Britain.
- Subject (Name)
- Davies, Thomas, approximately 1737-1812
- Subject (Topic)
Military parades & ceremonies
Davies, Thomas, approximately 1737-1812 > Caricatures and cartoons
Military parades & ceremonies > Great Britain
Flags > British
Military uniforms > British
England > 1797
England > London > 1797
Riviere & Son > Binding
Auchincloss, Hugh Dudley > Ownership
Harvey, Francis > Ownership
Access And Usage Rights
- The use of this image may be subject to the copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code) or to site license or other rights management terms and conditions. The person using the image is liable for any infringement.
- Orbis Record
- Object ID (OID)