"Lullaby!" Sooth him with a lullaby! scene Kegworth / [graphic]
Lewis Walpole Library > "Lullaby!" Sooth him with a lullaby! scene Kegworth / [graphic]
- "Lullaby!" Sooth him with a lullaby! scene Kegworth / [graphic]
- Alternative Title
- "Lullaby!" Soothe him with a lullaby!
- Gillray, James, 1756-1815, printmaker
Blunt, E., artist.
Humphrey, Hannah, active 1774-1817, publisher.
- Published / Created
- [12 July 1798]
- Publication Place
- Pubd. July 12th, 1798, by H. Humphrey, St. Jamess' [sic] Street
"A lady, ugly and elderly, sits at a piano in profile to the left, playing and singing. Her open music-book shows her 'Song: would you hurt a harm less maid maid I am young and sore afraid afraid'. Beside her in an arm-chair a fat man with short clumsy legs sits impassively. A patterned carpet completes the design."--British Museum online catalogue
Title etched below image.
Printmaker identified as Gillray in the British Museum catalogue.
Temporary local subject terms: Musical instruments: pianoforte -- Songs: Would you hurt a harmless maid -- Sheet music -- Obesity -- Reference to Kegworth, Leicestershire.
- 1 print : plate mark 21.7 x 26.2 cm, on sheet 27 x 33 cm
- Extent of Digitization
- This object has been no.
- Lewis Walpole Library
- Call Number
- 798.07.12.02 Impression 1
Subjects, Formats, And Genres
Satires (Visual works) England 1798
Etchings England London 1798
- etching ; and wove paper hand-colored.
- Resource Type
- still image
- Subject (Topic)
England > 1798
England > London > 1798
Riviere & Son > Binding
Auchincloss, Hugh Dudley > Ownership
Harvey, Francis > Ownership
Access And Usage Rights
- The use of this image may be subject to the copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code) or to site license or other rights management terms and conditions. The person using the image is liable for any infringement.
- Orbis Record
- Object ID (OID)