"Gentle manners, with affections mild, "in wit a man, simplicity a child [graphic].
Lewis Walpole Library > "Gentle manners, with affections mild, "in wit a man, simplicity a child [graphic].
- "Gentle manners, with affections mild, "in wit a man, simplicity a child [graphic].
- Gillray, James, 1756-1815, printmaker
- Humphrey, Hannah, active 1774-1817, publisher.
- Published / Created
- [4 November 1798]
- Publication Place
- Pubd. Novr. 4th, 1798, by H. Humphrey, St. James's Street
"General Manners walks in profile to the left, with knees flexed, bending forward, his hands clasped behind his back, a cane under his arm. He wears a round hat, small pigtail, and plain, old-fashioned dress."--British Museum online catalogue
Title etched below image.
Printmaker from British Museum catalogue.
Sheet trimmed within plate mark.
Temporary local subject terms: Men -- Walking staves -- Literature: quotation from Epitaph on John Gay by Alexander Pope (1688-1744).
Watermark: J Whatman.
- 1 print : sheet 26 x 17 cm
- Extent of Digitization
- This object has been no.
- Lewis Walpole Library
- Call Number
Subjects, Formats, And Genres
Caricatures and cartoons
Satires (Visual works) England 1798
Etchings England London 1798
Watermarks (Paper) J Whatman
- etching ; and wove paper hand-colored.
- Resource Type
- still image
- Subject (Name)
- Manners, Robert, 1758-1832
Manners, Robert, 1758-1832 > Caricatures and cartoons
England > 1798
England > London > 1798
Riviere & Son > Binding
Auchincloss, Hugh Dudley > Ownership
Harvey, Francis > Ownership
Access And Usage Rights
- The use of this image may be subject to the copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code) or to site license or other rights management terms and conditions. The person using the image is liable for any infringement.
- Orbis Record
- Object ID (OID)