An independent reply en militaire [art original].
Lewis Walpole Library > An independent reply en militaire [art original].
- An independent reply en militaire [art original].
- Woodward, G. M. (George Moutard), approximately 1760-1809, artist
- Published / Created
- [approximately 1798]
- Publication Place
An elderly woman questions a man dressed in a curious combination of professional military uniform and shopkeeper's attire with an apron tide around his waist and a musket propped against his shoulder. The woman exclaims, "Thee looks't very genteel indeed Tommy, I should hardly ha known thee, but I hope the shop is not quite neglected, trade must be minded thee know'st" while the shoppkeeper/soldier responds, "Trade d--n trade! I'm a gemmen and a soljer as Mister Wind-hum says".
Title from inscriptrion in black ink below image.
Date supplied by cataloger.
Attributed to Woodward.
- 1 drawing : image 30.5 x 27 cm, on sheet 33.3 x 28 cm
- Extent of Digitization
- This object has been no.
- Lewis Walpole Library
- Call Number
- Drawings W87 no. 35 Box D210
Subjects, Formats, And Genres
Caricatures and cartoons
Satires (Visual works) England 1798
Graphite drawings British 18th century
Ink drawings British 18th century
- graphite pencil with black ink border and inscriptions ; and wove paper.
- Resource Type
- still image
- Subject (Topic)
John Bull (Symbolic character)
Stores & shops
John Bull (Symbolic character) > Caricatures and cartoons
Stores & shops
England > 1798
British > 18th century
Access And Usage Rights
- The use of this image may be subject to the copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code) or to site license or other rights management terms and conditions. The person using the image is liable for any infringement.
- G.M. Woodward, An Independent Reply en Militaire. The Lewis Walpole Library, Yale University.
- Orbis Record
- Object ID (OID)