A man of importance [graphic]
Lewis Walpole Library > A man of importance [graphic]
- A man of importance [graphic]
- Gillray, James, 1756-1815, printmaker
- Humphrey, Hannah, active 1774-1817, publisher.
- Published / Created
- [16 May 1799]
- Publication Place
- Pubd. May 16th, 1799, by H. Humphrey, 27 St. James's Street, London
"Lord Moira, rigid and impassive, stands in profile to the left, right hand on his tasselled stick, left hand on hip, wearing quasi-military dress with looped cocked hat and high boots. Clouds, so coloured as to suggest a distant conflagration, and a low horizon, curved as if to indicate the edge of the globe, form a background. ..."--British Museum online catalogue
Title etched below image.
Seven lines of quoted verse below image in two columns, one on either side of title: "Ne'er may his whiskers loose their hue, "chang'd (like Moll Coggin's tail) to blue! ... vide Anti-Jacobin.
Sheet trimmed within plate mark.
Temporary local subject terms: Male dress: quasi-military -- Male fashion: sideburns -- Walking staves -- Literature: Quotation from the Ode to Lord Moira, by George Ellis (1753-1815) -- Periodicals: Anti Jacobin Review, no. XI.
- 1 print : sheet 36 x 26 cm
- Extent of Digitization
- This object has been no.
- Lewis Walpole Library
- Call Number
Subjects, Formats, And Genres
Caricatures and cartoons
Satires (Visual works) England 1799
Etchings England London 1799
- etching ; and wove paper hand-colored.
- Resource Type
- still image
- Subject (Name)
- Hastings, Francis Rawdon-Hastings, Marquess of, 1754-1826
Hastings, Francis Rawdon-Hastings, Marquess of, 1754-1826 > Caricatures and cartoons
England > 1799
England > London > 1799
Riviere & Son > Binding
Auchincloss, Hugh Dudley > Ownership
Harvey, Francis > Ownership
Access And Usage Rights
- The use of this image may be subject to the copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code) or to site license or other rights management terms and conditions. The person using the image is liable for any infringement.
- Orbis Record
- Object ID (OID)