Capitulary; Memorandum for a capitulary of Louis the Pious
Beinecke Rare Book and Manuscript Library > Capitulary; Memorandum for a capitulary of Louis the Pious
- Capitulary; Memorandum for a capitulary of Louis the Pious
- Published / Created
- [between 1025 and 1050]
- Publication Place
- Northern France,
Manuscript on parchment (single leaf) of 1) Last article of an unrecorded Capitulary, probably from the beginning of the reign of emperor Louis the Pious (814-840). 2) Capitula adhuc conferenda, i.e. Memorandum for a Capitulary, ca. 819 (?). This is a list of 18 questions to be discussed in view of a planned new Capitulary.
“Cap. XV” in art. 1 is written in Uncialis in red ink, and the opening letter V, in the same colour, is a 2-line initial. In art. 2 all the opening capitals (D, Q, S or U) are said to be likewise red, but their colour is hardly distinguishable from the colour of the text.
Script: Copied by one hand writing Carolingian script.
The fragment was perhaps the final leaf of a codex, which would explain the smudges and offsets visible on the verso.
- f. 1 : parchment ; 240 x 185 mm.
- Extent of Digitization
- This object has been completely digitized.
- Beinecke Rare Book and Manuscript Library
- Call Number
- Beinecke MS 808
Subjects, Formats, And Genres
- Resource Type
- Archives or Manuscripts
- Subject (Name)
- Subject (Topic)
Manuscripts, Medieval--Connecticut--New Haven
Medieval and Renaissance Manuscripts in Beinecke Library
Access And Usage Rights
- The use of this image may be subject to the copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code) or to site license or other rights management terms and conditions. The person using the image is liable for any infringement.
- Capitulary; Memorandum for a Capitulary of Louis the Pious. General Collection, Beinecke Rare Book and Manuscript Library, Yale University.
- Orbis Record
- Object ID (OID)
- More Information