The road to preferment through Clarkes passage [graphic].
Lewis Walpole Library > The road to preferment through Clarkes passage [graphic].
- The road to preferment through Clarkes passage [graphic].
- Rowlandson, Thomas, 1756-1827, printmaker
- Tegg, Thomas, 1776-1846, publisher.
- Published / Created
- [5 March 1809]
- Publication Place
- Pubd. March 5, 1809, by Thos. Tegg, No. 111 Cheapside
"Mrs. Clarke stands in a massive archway, inscribed 'CLARKES PASSAGE', addressing a crowd hurrying towards her. She wears a military coat over a white dress, cocked hat, and sword, and stands above the street level. She says: "Gentlemen it is no use to rush on in this manner -the principal places have been disposed of these three weeks and I assure you there is not even standing room". The crowd consists of military officers, elderly and often disabled, two fat parsons, a few civilians, some foppish, some the reverse, one of whom holds up a money-bag inscribed '500'. They completely fill the wide space before Mrs. Clarke, whose 'Passage' is indicated as her house by the opposite house on the extreme left. This is in 'Croakers Row', and from an attic window a little figure (Croker) peers through a telescope, as in British Museum Satires No. 11238."--British Museum online catalogue
Title etched below image.
Printmaker from British Museum catalogue.
Sheet trimmed within plate mark.
Mounted to 28 x 38 cm.
- 1 print : sheet 24 x 34 cm
- Extent of Digitization
- This object has been no.
- Lewis Walpole Library
- Call Number
Subjects, Formats, And Genres
Caricatures and cartoons
Satires (Visual works) England 1809
Etchings England London 1809
- etching ; and wove paper hand-colored.
- Resource Type
- still image
- Subject (Name)
Clarke, Mary Anne Thompson, 1776-1852
Croker, John Wilson, 1780-1857
Clarke, Mary Anne Thompson, 1776-1852 > Caricatures and cartoons
Croker, John Wilson, 1780-1857 > Caricatures and cartoons
England > 1809
England > London > 1809
Riviere & Son > Binding
Auchincloss, Hugh Dudley > Ownership
Harvey, Francis > Ownership
Access And Usage Rights
- The use of this image may be subject to the copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code) or to site license or other rights management terms and conditions. The person using the image is liable for any infringement.
- Orbis Record
- Object ID (OID)